Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal Owned Music Files will convert into HLS if uploaded into Apple Music. How could I get my original versions back upon cancelling subscription?

Hi Everyone

I own a extensive personal library of mp3 and digital media files, used to be doing and broadcast shows in spare time.

I was used to have Apple Match up to last year then switched to Apple Music.

All files received a major quality sound upgrade however, they are uploaded and converted into their best format HLS, and I am concerned as can't select them when creating my podcasts on GarageBand.

I am also concerned all my library won't be accessible if I cancel Apple Music and switch back to iTunes Match as all these files are showing as HLS and in no way I can download it externally.

Could you please advise if I shall just keep all my original files out of the Apple Music software and expect to lose them when moving into that platform database?

Thanks

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 4:46 AM

Hi,

Firstly you should keep a backup of all your own music.

When your library is initially scanned, you music is matched or uploaded. You matched music in most cases is available to stream as lossless and AAC with some as hi-res. You can replace your existing tracks by deleting them and redownloading either matched AAC which is DRM free or lossless/ hi-res HLS version which has DRM.

As long as you have a subscription you will be able to download Matched versions as Matched AAC. As with iTunes Match, you can upgrade lower bit rate to 256 Kbps and retain copy after subscription expires.

You could keep multiple libraries, one new library for streaming Apple Music and the other with your original library that had been matched or uploaded and having physical copies of your music files.

Jim

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2023 4:46 AM in response to Indamoova

Hi,

Firstly you should keep a backup of all your own music.

When your library is initially scanned, you music is matched or uploaded. You matched music in most cases is available to stream as lossless and AAC with some as hi-res. You can replace your existing tracks by deleting them and redownloading either matched AAC which is DRM free or lossless/ hi-res HLS version which has DRM.

As long as you have a subscription you will be able to download Matched versions as Matched AAC. As with iTunes Match, you can upgrade lower bit rate to 256 Kbps and retain copy after subscription expires.

You could keep multiple libraries, one new library for streaming Apple Music and the other with your original library that had been matched or uploaded and having physical copies of your music files.

Jim

Mar 11, 2023 10:49 AM in response to Indamoova

Hi,

Once a track has been Matched, you will have the option to remove download then either stream or download lossless version. If at a later date you cancel your subscription, you can change settings so that you can remove lossless version and re-download 256 Kbps AAC version. There is no need to upload them again. You can use your original backup if necessary on other devices.

See Use multiple libraries in Music on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Jim

Jim

Personal Owned Music Files will convert into HLS if uploaded into Apple Music. How could I get my original versions back upon cancelling subscription?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.