Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mutual screen extension

My 2020 M1 MBP (Ventura) recognizes and can extend its monitor to my 2021 M1 iMac (also Ventura), but my iMac won't extend onto my MBP. Shouldn't screen extension work both ways? My only option with the iMac is to link the keyboard and mouse to the MBP.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 11:15 AM

Hello jcw289,

You can double check the continuity requirements with the article here: System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch

However, as it lists an iMac introduced in 2019 or later double check your preferences with the steps below found here: Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay receiver

"Note: If your Mac is enrolled in a mobile device management (MDM) system, AirPlay Receiver may be unavailable.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click General  in the sidebar, then click AirDrop & Handoff  on the right. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Turn on Airplay receiver.
  3. Click the pop-up menu next to “Allow Airplay for” and choose whose devices can use AirPlay to stream content to this Mac:
    • Current User: Only devices signed in to your Apple ID can see and use AirPlay to stream content to this Mac.
    • Anyone on the Same Network: Any nearby Mac, iPhone, or iPad on the same network can see and use AirPlay to stream content to this Mac.
    • Everyone: Any Mac, iPhone, or iPad can see and use AirPlay to stream content to this Mac.

4.Turn on Require password, enter the password in the text field, then click OK."

If the issue continues, you can test in a new user account. Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

Reach out to Apple Support directly if the issue remains.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Best.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2023 11:15 AM in response to jcw289

Hello jcw289,

You can double check the continuity requirements with the article here: System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch

However, as it lists an iMac introduced in 2019 or later double check your preferences with the steps below found here: Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay receiver

"Note: If your Mac is enrolled in a mobile device management (MDM) system, AirPlay Receiver may be unavailable.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click General  in the sidebar, then click AirDrop & Handoff  on the right. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Turn on Airplay receiver.
  3. Click the pop-up menu next to “Allow Airplay for” and choose whose devices can use AirPlay to stream content to this Mac:
    • Current User: Only devices signed in to your Apple ID can see and use AirPlay to stream content to this Mac.
    • Anyone on the Same Network: Any nearby Mac, iPhone, or iPad on the same network can see and use AirPlay to stream content to this Mac.
    • Everyone: Any Mac, iPhone, or iPad can see and use AirPlay to stream content to this Mac.

4.Turn on Require password, enter the password in the text field, then click OK."

If the issue continues, you can test in a new user account. Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

Reach out to Apple Support directly if the issue remains.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Best.

Mar 12, 2023 4:33 PM in response to jcw289

Hello jcw289,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

If your Airplay isn' working as expected, try these helpful steps:

"Try these steps first

After each step, see if you still need help. 

1. Make sure that your AirPlay-compatible devices are turned on and near each other.
  2. Check that the devices are updated to the latest software and are on the same Wi-Fi network. 
  3. Restart the devices that you want to use with AirPlay or screen mirroring.

If you're prompted to enter a password, you might have restrictions turned on, or you might need to adjust your AirPlay password settings."

More details can be found here: If screen mirroring or streaming isn't working on your AirPlay-compatible device

If the issue persists, can you provide a few more details? What is your exact macOS versions on both devices? Also, has Airplay worked previously?

Cheers!

Mar 14, 2023 10:56 AM in response to Omar_A1

Since Airplay works in one direction, yes, they're turned on, near each other, on the same wifi network, no restrictions are turned on, and both devices are using the most recent OS, 13.2.1. As noted, I can extend the MBP onto the iMac, but not the iMac onto the MBP. In fact I have two MacBooks, and can extend the iMac onto my M2 Air (although screen resolution is poor), but not onto my M1 MBP.

mutual screen extension

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.