Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible to drop a clip into the timeline, but have the playhead stay where it is?

The Q button will drop a clip from the Browser into the timeline above the primary storyline.

The W button will drop a clip from the Browser into the primary storyline, which shifts all clips down.

I would like to be able to place the playhead where I want the clip to "land"... and pretty the Q button to place it above the primary storyline, but... leave the playhead alone. Right now... when I press Q, it inserts the clip where I want it, but the playhead lands at the END of this newly inserted clip. So, I have to press the "," comma key to back through a ton of edits to return my playhead to where I wanted it to stay.

There must be a shortcut or modifier key I can hold down... or something, that will let me insert clips while leaving the playhead alone. Right?

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 2:25 PM

FCP Editing Settings. Uncheck Position playhead after edit operation.

2 replies

Possible to drop a clip into the timeline, but have the playhead stay where it is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.