Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot restore iPad with recovery mode

I have a 1st generation iPad Pro that I want to factory reset. The iPad goes into recovery mode correctly but I'm unable to restore it.

I've tried it with two macBooks. The older macBook running Big Sur showed the Finder window with the Restore iPad button but clicking it had no effect. I tried putting the iPad into recovery mode multiple times and let it sit for a very long time. I tried reconnecting both ends of the cable and with a second Lightning cable.

The second macBook with the latest version of Ventura wouldn't recognize the iPad at all, it wasn't listed in the Finder window. I had to use a USB-C dongle with this one and I know the dongle is functioning correctly.

I've googled the issue and read all the suggestions offered on various sites but none seem to address this specific issue.

iPad Pro (1st generation)

Posted on Mar 11, 2023 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 8:51 AM

If your iPad is not recognised, or fails to restore, try using a different USB port. Many reports seen here suggest that where the process fails when using the host computer’s USB-C port, instead using a Type-A USB port will allow the restore process to complete.

Otherwise, this support page may help with troubleshooting connection issues:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 12, 2023 8:51 AM in response to Michael Loader

If your iPad is not recognised, or fails to restore, try using a different USB port. Many reports seen here suggest that where the process fails when using the host computer’s USB-C port, instead using a Type-A USB port will allow the restore process to complete.

Otherwise, this support page may help with troubleshooting connection issues:

If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Cannot restore iPad with recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.