Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery mode.

I start my mac from an external SSD HD, but when I start with the key 'Option' or 'Command-R', I come on a black window with a closed padlock, but with my password of my account I can not log in.

The only way to change startup disk is log into my account and go to systemsettings - startup disk.

How can I use again with the key 'Option' or 'Command-R', without to lose my apps and data?

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 5:57 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 12, 2023 6:27 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks, I have CCC to clone my SSD to another external HD, then erase the SSD and clone the backup again to the SSD.

Or can I start the mac from my internal Macintosh HD (is now used as backup drive for the SSD), erase the internal HD to reset the firmware password with disconnected external SSD?

Afterwards reconnect the external SSD again and use it again as startup drive, because I think the firmware is on the machine and not to a specific drive.

Mar 14, 2023 5:36 AM in response to dialabrain

I found the solution by using Terminal, see here: https://macosx-faq.com/remove-firmware-password-terminal/ and here: https://www.manpagez.com/man/8/firmwarepasswd/.

Because I did know the firmware password, I first set a new password (sudo firmwarepasswd -setpasswd) and tested it, afterwards I delete this (sudo firmwarepasswd -delete).

Boot the mac with 'Option' and 'Command-R' are possible again without firmwarepassword.

Thanks.

Recovery mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.