Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to rename a device (not the partition) in Mac OS Ventura

Disk utility in Ventura seems to only rename a hard drive partition even when only the device name (farthest left, not indented name) is selected and Erase is invoked. In Disk Utility, there is a device named "miniStac k Classic Media" with a space between the c and k that I want to remove. I selected that device in Disk Utility (I had selected View/Show All Devices) and selected "Erase" then Name: 'DiskA_1TB', Format: 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)', Scheme: 'GUID Partition Map' with no extra security options. After the Erase is complete, the "miniStac k Classic Media" device name remains and indented under it in the External devices and volumes list there is a partition name of "DiskA_1TB".

I have searched and can't find any reference to changing the device name that works with Ventura 13.2.1.

How can I rename the device (not the partition) in Mac OS Ventura?

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 12:39 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Mar 12, 2023 6:16 PM in response to Mr Picasso

Mr Picasso wrote:
After the Erase is complete, the "miniStac k Classic Media" device name remains and indented under it in the External devices and volumes list there is a partition name of "DiskA_1TB".

If the drive name is immutable, how is it set initially such that in my case there is an unwelcome space, and is the initial definition accessible via some hack?

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Mar 12, 2023 9:58 PM in response to Mr Picasso

Mr Picasso wrote:

It's an external drive that is not the boot drive. I have also tried to rename another external drive by erasing and the new name is only applied to the volume and not the device-drive.

What am I missing here...(?) From above " "miniStac k Classic Media"

The drive name is immutable.

Name the Volume what ever you want to see; when mounted it is the Volume name that will show on your Desktop .

refer to miniStack Classic support for issues with their drive:

ref: https://www.newertech.com/downloads/nwtmanmstkclam.pdf

Mar 12, 2023 2:59 PM in response to Mr Picasso

Mr Picasso wrote:

Disk utility in Ventura seems to only rename a hard drive partition even when only the device name (farthest left, not indented name) is selected and Erase is invoked. In Disk Utility, there is a device named "miniStac k Classic Media" with a space between the c and k that I want to remove. I selected that device in Disk Utility (I had selected View/Show All Devices) and selected "Erase" then Name: 'DiskA_1TB', Format: 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)', Scheme: 'GUID Partition Map' with no extra security options. After the Erase is complete, the "miniStac k Classic Media" device name remains and indented under it in the External devices and volumes list there is a partition name of "DiskA_1TB".
I have searched and can't find any reference to changing the device name that works with Ventura 13.2.1.
How can I rename the device (not the partition) in Mac OS Ventura?

The drive name is immutable.

Mar 12, 2023 8:08 PM in response to Mr Picasso

Mr Picasso wrote:

Erasing seems to only rename the volume and not the device. Do I need to select a format other than 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'?

Can you verify this is an external drive...(?)

I will add—you can not erase/reformat/initialize as new, an internal drive if you are booted to that drive, this has to be done from Internet Recovery.

Mar 12, 2023 9:55 PM in response to leroydouglas

I guess the answers to my questions: “If the drive name is immutable, how is it set initially such that in my case there is an unwelcome space, and is the initial definition accessible via some hack?” are:

the manufacturer sets the drive-device name (and they must have added the extra space between the c and k) and there is no hack to change the name that is set by the manufacturer. Do I understand correctly?

How to rename a device (not the partition) in Mac OS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.