You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 11 IOS 16.3.1 Burning hot

My brand new iPhone 11 running IOS 16.3.1 burning hot, extreme overheating. Too hot to hold in hand. This is the 3rd replacement in two weeks, now awaiting the fourth.

the heat is so extreme that i can barely hold it in my hand.

Utterly shocking products being produced by apple now. either a whole manufacture batch needs re-called. Or iPhone 11 simply cannot run on iOS 16.3.1.

the phone is literally burning…

the battery is appalling. It’s being put on hold whilst charging due to extreme heat.

its the worst apple experience i have ever had. And don't get me started on the washed out yellow tinted display.

iPhone 11

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 7:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 6:07 AM

I see very, very few other posts about this so it must be something common to you and just a handful of other users. If you want us to help you with it we would need a lot of detailed information about what software you are using and the conditions under which you are using the phone. The solution may be the old adage of a patient going into a doctor and saying, "Doctor, it hurts when I press here," and the doctor replies, "Stop pressing there."

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 14, 2023 6:07 AM in response to Phunk_dup

I see very, very few other posts about this so it must be something common to you and just a handful of other users. If you want us to help you with it we would need a lot of detailed information about what software you are using and the conditions under which you are using the phone. The solution may be the old adage of a patient going into a doctor and saying, "Doctor, it hurts when I press here," and the doctor replies, "Stop pressing there."

Mar 13, 2023 7:18 AM in response to Phunk_dup

Some activities (e.g., video) require more computational power which in turn generates heat. Some warmth is to be anticipated. Read this article about keeping your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch within acceptable operating temperatures - If your iPhone or iPad gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support

If you think there is a problem with a device, get Apple to inspect it. Go to this page to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Apple Authorized Distributor (AAD) --> Find Locations - Apple

How to make a Genius Bar appointment

1. Go to Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

2. Go to "Get hardware help".

3. Select your hardware and continue selecting options requiring replacing parts until you see "Bring in for Repair"

4. Sign in with your Apple ID

Mar 14, 2023 4:27 AM in response to apple_mac_user_01

when I had this issue, my battery health was fine despite the searing temperatures of the phone - removing Chrome resolved it. If you check the App Store you’ll see a lot of reviews within the last week mentioning the heat that happens when it’s installed, and the only way to fix was to remove. That being said, there may be other incompatible apps installed on the phone that could be contributing

Mar 14, 2023 5:53 AM in response to beggs.jack

My battery health is fine. It is the 3rd brand new Iphone. I have never had chrome installed, so for me it cannot be that. My phone is burning hot just browsing the internet on iPhone web browser. It gets hot when it is literally doing nothing. It overheats when charging, the list goes on. 4th replacement arriving today. Don't know why i bothered.

Mar 14, 2023 6:31 AM in response to Limnos

“a handful of other users” ? There are literally thousands of reports, articles & videos on overheating from iOS 16 & onwards on all apple devices. Certainly don’t think its related to a handful of users. i think it is quite common. Never had any issues until now, which led me to here.

i understand what you are saying, but it is definitely more common than you think. I’ll just need to get on with it and figure it out myself. Or hope it sorts its-self out in newer updates.

that or try and downgrade which is going to be my last option.

thing is, i have been using an 11 since they came out, but i had the updates blocked on it, so was still running on IOS 15 something, worked like a charm and never had a single issue with it. Upgraded to the 14 but couldn't get used to the Oled screen, so got another 11. And it has been non stop issues, on 3 different phones, & with all the things i have read, leads me to believe it is something to do with iOS 16 and onwards.

id give anything to get my 4 year old iPhone 11 back that i gave away a couple of weeks ago if i had new iOS 16 was going to be this bad.

Iphone 11 IOS 16.3.1 Burning hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.