iPhone 13 overheating and screen gone blank

Hi,

I purchased my iPhone 13 back in February of 2022. However, yesterday I encountered an issue where it started overheating and flickering and later the screen went completely blank. I'm wondering if this problem is a result of a factory defect in this particular iPhone model. Additionally, I would like to know if I am eligible for a replacement device due to this issue. Thank you. Z

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2023 9:53 PM

Did you use the iPhone while it was getting warmer than usual?

Did you get a temperature warning?

If your device gets too warm

iOS and iPadOS devices have built-in protections to prevent overheating. If the interior temperature of your device exceeds the normal operating range, your device will protect its internal components by attempting to regulate its temperature. 

Avoid these conditions and activities because they might change the performance of your device:

• Leaving your device in a car on a hot day.
  • Leaving your device in direct sunlight for an extended period of time.
  • Using certain features in hot conditions or direct sunlight for an extended period of time, such as GPS tracking or navigation in a car, playing a graphics-intensive game, or using augmented-reality apps.

If the interior temperature of your device exceeds the normal operating range, you might notice these changes:

• Charging, including wireless charging, slows or stops.
  • The display dims or goes black.
  • Cellular radios enter a low-power state. The signal might weaken during this time.
  • The camera flash is temporarily disabled.
  • Performance slows with graphics-intensive or augmented-reality apps or features.

Additionally, if you're navigating, your device might show this alert and turn off the display: "Temperature: iPhone needs to cool down." Navigation still provides audible turn-by-turn directions. When approaching a turn, the display will illuminate to guide you through the turn.

copied from: If your iPhone or iPad gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support

You can visit an Authorized Apple Service Provider or Apple Store next to your place, and ask them to diagnose your device, in case this is hardware related.

Use this link to find one:

Apple - Find Locations

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2023 9:53 PM in response to ZRCAN

Did you use the iPhone while it was getting warmer than usual?

Did you get a temperature warning?

If your device gets too warm

iOS and iPadOS devices have built-in protections to prevent overheating. If the interior temperature of your device exceeds the normal operating range, your device will protect its internal components by attempting to regulate its temperature. 

Avoid these conditions and activities because they might change the performance of your device:

• Leaving your device in a car on a hot day.
  • Leaving your device in direct sunlight for an extended period of time.
  • Using certain features in hot conditions or direct sunlight for an extended period of time, such as GPS tracking or navigation in a car, playing a graphics-intensive game, or using augmented-reality apps.

If the interior temperature of your device exceeds the normal operating range, you might notice these changes:

• Charging, including wireless charging, slows or stops.
  • The display dims or goes black.
  • Cellular radios enter a low-power state. The signal might weaken during this time.
  • The camera flash is temporarily disabled.
  • Performance slows with graphics-intensive or augmented-reality apps or features.

Additionally, if you're navigating, your device might show this alert and turn off the display: "Temperature: iPhone needs to cool down." Navigation still provides audible turn-by-turn directions. When approaching a turn, the display will illuminate to guide you through the turn.

copied from: If your iPhone or iPad gets too hot or too cold - Apple Support

You can visit an Authorized Apple Service Provider or Apple Store next to your place, and ask them to diagnose your device, in case this is hardware related.

Use this link to find one:

Apple - Find Locations

iPhone 13 overheating and screen gone blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.