Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay2

I have an iphone 6splus and an Ipad air 2 both with up to date software. I have airplay but not airplay 2. My son has bought me a homepod mini and I was hoping to get another to play music, radio etc in different rooms but unless I have airplay 2 this is not possible. However, according to apple support and other websites, both my iphone and ipad should support airplay 2. My only option seems to be to get another phone or ipad with airplay 2 but seems like a costly solution and I’m sure I’m not alone in having this issue. Any advice greatly appreciated.

iPad Air 2

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 10:22 AM

What do you mean you don't have Airplay 2?

Why do you think your devices don't have it?

Airplay 2 support is built in, but it won't specifically state AirPlay 2 anywhere. Even on newer devices, AirPlay 2 is just labeled as AirPlay. Both the iPhone 6s and the iPad Air 2 support AirPlay 2.

You can set up and use a HomePod mini with an iPhone 6s Plus or an iPad Air 2 just fine.

What issue are you having exactly?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2023 10:22 AM in response to DY1953

What do you mean you don't have Airplay 2?

Why do you think your devices don't have it?

Airplay 2 support is built in, but it won't specifically state AirPlay 2 anywhere. Even on newer devices, AirPlay 2 is just labeled as AirPlay. Both the iPhone 6s and the iPad Air 2 support AirPlay 2.

You can set up and use a HomePod mini with an iPhone 6s Plus or an iPad Air 2 just fine.

What issue are you having exactly?

Mar 13, 2023 6:04 PM in response to DY1953

The iPad Air 2 can Airplay to HomePod. I believe your iPhone can also. if it’s not working try restarting the device. Some apps might not support Airplay though. Test with other apps. You need to have the device and HomePods on the same wifi network and signed in with the same Apple ID. Some apps have different icons with this first one being more for videos and if you don’t see it, try the control center,using the other icon. Example is the Netflix app on iPad has to use the control center method

See: Use AirPlay to stream audio

Mar 13, 2023 11:49 AM in response to Phil0124

Many thanks for your reply. On my iPhone and iPad I can see AirPlay but the icon for AirPlay 2 isn’t showing. Apple support took over my phone and iPad and they couldn’t get AirPlay 2 working. I guess I could get another HomePod mini to see if the speakers work in two rooms. But apparently AirPlay and AirPlay 2 have different icons and I can only see the icon for AirPlay. But as you say, my iPhone and iPad should support airplay2.

Mar 13, 2023 1:26 PM in response to DY1953

DY1953 wrote:

Many thanks for your reply. On my iPhone and iPad I can see AirPlay but the icon for AirPlay 2 isn’t showing.

There is no icon for AirPlay 2. As I said, AirPlay 2 is labeled as AirPlay. There is only one AirPlay icon. it is used for both AirPlay 1 and 2.

Apple support took over my phone and iPad and they couldn’t get AirPlay 2 working

Not sure what that means, as there is no way to remotely control or access an iPhone or iPad.

But apparently AirPlay and AirPlay 2 have different icons and I can only see the icon for AirPlay.

No, there is only 1 icon. There is no separation between AirPlay and AirPlay 2.

Mar 14, 2023 12:41 AM in response to Phil0124

Many thanks again. I had assumed I couldn’t stream to more than one speaker as I could only see airplay on my devices. Your point about there being no separation between airplay and airplay 2 made me think again especially as the icon I have has a triangle with circles surrounding it whereas the earlier icon for airplay has rectangle with a triangle. So it seems I can stream to more than one speaker. I was further confused because I had assumed airplay 2 would have been itemised as that on my devices. So will get another homepod mini. Your advice has been great and much better than apple support so thank you again.

Airplay2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.