Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot delete, rename or move .pdf file on MacBook Pro

Hi, I've this message on some .pdf files. I cannot delete, rename, move them. If I try to delete the foldere where the files lies my Mac say the the folder is in use (buit it's notr true). I've tried everithing I've found online. I have the permission, the files aren't blocked, I cannot delete them from Terminal (such file or directory not found), I've tried to restart in SafeMode...nothing. Utility disk (running both in normal or Recovery mode) says the HD is ok.

What more?

Thanks for your help.

Max

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 12:47 PM

If you are running any anti-virus apps, uninstall them and see if that has a positive impact.

You may need to reinstall the OS to get that functionality back.

To non-destructively reinstall macOS as a troubleshooting measure - without deleting user files, documents, pics and vids, etc. – boot your Mac in Recovery mode by restarting and when you hear the startup chime press the Command-R (⌘R) keys until you see the Apple logo and progress bar. Use a wired USB keyboard for this.

Follow the onscreen instructions to “Reinstall macOS…”.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

NOTE– You should not have to delete, erase, format, partition or otherwise alter your startup disk for this. If that becomes an option, quit the process and restart your Mac. Then come back here for additional advice.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2023 12:47 PM in response to Massimiliano1

If you are running any anti-virus apps, uninstall them and see if that has a positive impact.

You may need to reinstall the OS to get that functionality back.

To non-destructively reinstall macOS as a troubleshooting measure - without deleting user files, documents, pics and vids, etc. – boot your Mac in Recovery mode by restarting and when you hear the startup chime press the Command-R (⌘R) keys until you see the Apple logo and progress bar. Use a wired USB keyboard for this.

Follow the onscreen instructions to “Reinstall macOS…”.

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

NOTE– You should not have to delete, erase, format, partition or otherwise alter your startup disk for this. If that becomes an option, quit the process and restart your Mac. Then come back here for additional advice.

I cannot delete, rename or move .pdf file on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.