Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule unplugged for a long time

Hello,

I plugged in my Time Capsule after having it unplugged for many months.

I would like to reactivate it - any tips on what I can expect? Can I trust that my old backups will be intact?

I see that Apple discontinued support for Time Capsule, so I am wondering if

• I should try to reactivate it on my own?
  • If I try to reactivate on my own would it be better to connect directly to a computer rather than wifi?
  • Or, should I take it directly to an Apple dealer that also does data recovery ?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom that can be shared.

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 4:15 PM

All that looks good, and yes if you had previously connected that Time Capsule to your router with an Ethernet cable that's what you will need to do.

Does the TC really need an internet connection to work - I seem to recall something called "bridge mode"...?

Strictly speaking the answer is no, but if the TC is not connected to your network infrastructure (•) then it can only exist as an island all to itself. In other words you will be able to connect to it for the very limited purpose of configuring it, accessing the files on its hard disk, using Time Machine to back up your Macs... but nothing else. While you do that your Mac will not be connected to the Internet. Clearly that won't be very useful.

• "Connecting to your network infrastructure" will require an Ethernet cable between the TC and your router unless the router is an Apple product (AEBS, TC, Express).
  • Or, you can configure that TC to replace your existing (non-Apple) router, in which case it becomes your network infrastructure.

The "My Passport" is probably the name of an external hard disk drive which Time Machine had been using at one time on the past. It may have been connected directly to your Mac, or the Time Capsule. In any event if you no longer have it then you might as well remove it from Time Machine. Refer to Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support. "My Passport" is a Western Digital product trademark.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2023 4:15 PM in response to Spencejam1

All that looks good, and yes if you had previously connected that Time Capsule to your router with an Ethernet cable that's what you will need to do.

Does the TC really need an internet connection to work - I seem to recall something called "bridge mode"...?

Strictly speaking the answer is no, but if the TC is not connected to your network infrastructure (•) then it can only exist as an island all to itself. In other words you will be able to connect to it for the very limited purpose of configuring it, accessing the files on its hard disk, using Time Machine to back up your Macs... but nothing else. While you do that your Mac will not be connected to the Internet. Clearly that won't be very useful.

• "Connecting to your network infrastructure" will require an Ethernet cable between the TC and your router unless the router is an Apple product (AEBS, TC, Express).
  • Or, you can configure that TC to replace your existing (non-Apple) router, in which case it becomes your network infrastructure.

The "My Passport" is probably the name of an external hard disk drive which Time Machine had been using at one time on the past. It may have been connected directly to your Mac, or the Time Capsule. In any event if you no longer have it then you might as well remove it from Time Machine. Refer to Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support. "My Passport" is a Western Digital product trademark.

Mar 19, 2023 2:18 PM in response to John Galt

Hello - this is how far I've progressed. I can't see what's on the TC. I used to have it connected to my router with an ethernet. Also when I look at Time Machine, I see something called the My Passport (I'll look that up...).

Thanks,

JS

Mar 15, 2023 7:14 AM in response to Spencejam1

Launch AirPort Utility — it's in your Mac's Utilities folder. Does the TC appear?

If it does, select it. AirPort Utility will tell you what it needs.

If it does not, you will need to reconfigure it by pressing and holding its tiny reset pushbutton until its LED flashes amber rapidly. That takes about five seconds. Then, release it. The TC will restart, and after a minute or two the LED will start flashing amber again waiting for you to reconfigure it with AirPort Utility.

What you do with it then depends on how the TC is connected to your router. If your router is not an Apple AirPort Base Station (Extreme, Express, or another Time Capsule) then the only connection option is to use an Ethernet cable to your router.

For additional instructions I'll need to hear how far you get.

Time Capsule unplugged for a long time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.