Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message App

When I open my message app says I have no messages or will just be a blank black screen then crash. I have hard restarted my phone and that does not work. I can’t even open the message app settings- it freezes and crashes as well. My phone is up to date on software updates. Any ideas?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 7:25 AM

If an app isn't responding, you can quit it and then reopen it to try and resolve the issue. (Typically, there's no reason to quit an app; quitting it doesn't save battery power, for example.) To quit the app, open the App Switcher, swipe right to find the app, then swipe up on the app.

Quit and reopen an app on iPhone - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2023 7:25 AM in response to Train2913

If an app isn't responding, you can quit it and then reopen it to try and resolve the issue. (Typically, there's no reason to quit an app; quitting it doesn't save battery power, for example.) To quit the app, open the App Switcher, swipe right to find the app, then swipe up on the app.

Quit and reopen an app on iPhone - Apple Support

Mar 17, 2023 1:46 PM in response to Train2913

I believe it's a software issue. I hope they are working on it. I thought it was just my iphone and was afraid I would have to get a new one but I am seeing more posts about others having issues too. I called and reported issue to apple when it first started happening to me about three weeks ago. Force restarting the phone would fix it but then a few minutes later it would start happening again. Closing out the app would not fix the issue. The fix that worked the longest was once the message app setting was unfrozen, I was told by apple support to turn off iMessage for like 30 seconds or so then turn back on. It worked for a few days but now it just keeps freezing again randomly.

Message App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.