Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My apple watch series 8 keep locking while I am wearing it - wrist detection is ON.

Ever since I got the apple watch series 8 in December 2022, It will lock while on my wrist. There will be a few days where it does not do this, but then there are days like today where it just locks over and over even tho I am wearing it and unlock it frequently. I have already tried unpairing/re-pairing, turning it off and on, resetting to factory etc and it STILL does this. I'm not sure what the next step is?

Apple Watch Series 8, watchOS 9

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 2:02 PM

If the watch uses light as part of the sensing it is very possible a new model might use a different wavelength (color) which reacts differently with your tattoo.

Suggestion: For the purpose of testing try wearing on the other wrist, or even on the underside of a wrist. The aim is simply to see if you can prove it is something like your tattoo interfering.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2023 2:02 PM in response to JReckrodt

If the watch uses light as part of the sensing it is very possible a new model might use a different wavelength (color) which reacts differently with your tattoo.

Suggestion: For the purpose of testing try wearing on the other wrist, or even on the underside of a wrist. The aim is simply to see if you can prove it is something like your tattoo interfering.

Mar 15, 2023 10:12 AM in response to JReckrodt

Are your wearing the watch properly?

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Your best option may be to make an appointment at the Genius Bar in an Apple Store near you and let them look at it. If that is not possible, use the online Apple Support option. Either way they have advance diagnostics they can run:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Mar 15, 2023 10:24 AM in response to javaliga

I believe so, I am wearing it the same as I wore the 7, the 5, the 3 etc.. I am not new to apple watches, but I guess the only difference is that I have a stretchy band and not one that fastens. Maybe I'll switch back to an old silicone band to see what happens. If that doesn't work, I will make a genius bar appt. Thanks for the comment.

My apple watch series 8 keep locking while I am wearing it - wrist detection is ON.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.