Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I add my own music library from a thumb drive to my MacBook Pro m1

how do I add my own music library to a MacBook Pro m1 from a thumb drive. what will the directory structure be and where do I copy the files on my thumb drive to

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 9:17 AM

Castle Hill,

First go into Music > Preferences, Files tab, and enable "Copy files..." Insert the thumb drive, and then add a few files or folders to your library, as described in here: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

They should go into the default folder location on your hard drive, and the original copy should stay on the thumb drive. After you do the first few, examine your structure and make sure it is what you expected. Then you can start doing larger batches.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2023 9:17 AM in response to CastleHill10

Castle Hill,

First go into Music > Preferences, Files tab, and enable "Copy files..." Insert the thumb drive, and then add a few files or folders to your library, as described in here: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

They should go into the default folder location on your hard drive, and the original copy should stay on the thumb drive. After you do the first few, examine your structure and make sure it is what you expected. Then you can start doing larger batches.

Mar 20, 2023 11:52 AM in response to ed2345

I don't have any Music/preferences.....I get stuck right there. On my thumb drive which is 128 gb I have a folder named MUSIC. In that folder is all my music with cover art and everything. I was going to drag the music folder on my thumb drive and drop it into the music program that sits on my doc. Would that work? If. it would work I could clean up some music files I have all over the place from experimentation. I hate the fact that they canned iTunes. I've thought about changing to another program but I don't know what is best. Many say Spotify.....who knows.

I'm not sure. what changes I have to make with respect to SETTINGS "music media folder location" as well as which option to use "keep music folder organized which is what I normally use.

Any help you can give is appreciated. I'm using a MacBook Pro M1 16 GB 1 TB disk.

Lastly...do you know of any documentation/instructions for this. model MacBook Pro and seems all I have is Thunderbolt 4 on computer what specific cords I need to sync my computer. I was looking at the OWC unit that has. many different plugs in it. Thank you for any help you can give me. David

how do I add my own music library from a thumb drive to my MacBook Pro m1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.