Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best replacement for quicktime for mac ventura

what is best, easiest media player to that replaces QuickTime on a ventura

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 2:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 3:20 PM

what leads you to believe that QuickTime Player is not part of your macOS?

18 replies

Mar 16, 2023 4:45 PM in response to lmerritt

Jeez, I am so very sorry, Jeffrey, that I didn't see that "in the box". Ok, so I have confirmed I DO indeed have Quicktime, but can you possibly explain this situation:

I can open recently MOV files from a trip last year. BUT, when I plug in an external hard drive and grab an MOV file from a couple of years ago, I get this message:

Any suggestions, or reasons why I cannot open other MOV files? Many thanks, and again, so very sorry I overlooked that "Comes with Apple" folder!

Mar 16, 2023 5:43 PM in response to lmerritt

you're welcome :)

and if you want to revisit this discussion in the future, there are two methods that would work.

the first, you can add this specific page to your bookmarks as you would with any other page.

and second, you can access your subscriptions to quickly find this discussion.

although the latter becomes more and more difficult if you choose to start participating here regularly and start racking up posts. :)

Apr 10, 2023 5:34 PM in response to sdmoss7

sdmoss7 wrote:

Anyone know what to suggest as a Quicktime alternative? I cannot open Quicktime on my new Mac0S Ventura. I see it in 'Applications' but it is faded in colour, like it's a ghost application. I figure it was just transferred from all apps on the older IMAC I got in 2014. I am extremely frustrated.
thanks for your time in responding
SB

As I said, Try VLC.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

You may have transferred an older version of Quicktime, but there should be a new one that comes with Ventura..

Mar 17, 2023 1:34 PM in response to lmerritt

As you have now found out, Quicktime still exists, so no need to replace it.

VLC is not an Apple product. However, it is an incredibly capable and vert trustworthy app. It can open a large variety of formats including MOV formats that the current QT may no longer be able to open.

Don't know what Apple Store reps may or may not recommend.

I recommend VLC, because I have used it and can vouch for its capabilities and functionality.

@jeffreytheforg,

Thanks for taking over. Had to actually go work for a living for a little bit.

best replacement for quicktime for mac ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.