Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) audio suddenly terrible

My MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) works fine.

Suddenly this week, the audio is terrible. Really scratchy, sounds like a stereo with the bass turned way too high.

I've tried:

Resetting NVRAM & PRAM by shutting down & starting up holding Option & Command & P & R

Logging in as a guest to confirm it's not an account setting

Tried running sudo killall coreaudiod & restarting

Went into preferences to shift audio balance left & right to see which speaker was the issue: it's the same issue on both.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this? Thank you!

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 4:03 PM

Most likely the speakers are worn out. I have seen a lot of our organizations 2013-2015 MBPro's have distorted audio through the internal speakers. I believe the speaker cones are just disintegating due to old age as they started to happen at the same time in large quantities...I've never seen this with any other speakers in any other models. You can confirm by seeing if audio through headphones or external speakers is Ok. The 2015 model is now considered "Vintage", but an Apple Authorized Service Provider can still perform repairs as long as the necessary parts are still available. Fortunately the speakers are a separate low cost item easily replaced. I'm not sure whether an Apple Store will be able to perform the repair for a "Vintage" model unless they perform repairs at the store itself.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2023 4:03 PM in response to dgerrard123

Most likely the speakers are worn out. I have seen a lot of our organizations 2013-2015 MBPro's have distorted audio through the internal speakers. I believe the speaker cones are just disintegating due to old age as they started to happen at the same time in large quantities...I've never seen this with any other speakers in any other models. You can confirm by seeing if audio through headphones or external speakers is Ok. The 2015 model is now considered "Vintage", but an Apple Authorized Service Provider can still perform repairs as long as the necessary parts are still available. Fortunately the speakers are a separate low cost item easily replaced. I'm not sure whether an Apple Store will be able to perform the repair for a "Vintage" model unless they perform repairs at the store itself.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) audio suddenly terrible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.