Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sign in on my Apple ID on my Mac mini M1

I can't sign in on my Apple ID on my Mac mini M1. After entering my details (after a few seconds) it simply returns to the entry screen.

I have shut down my computer and tried again, both in the usual mode as well as in the Safe mode, but no difference.

The I tried to test the sign in by creating a new Apple ID. Then it returned with "This action could not be completed due to an error. Please try again later." This last advice is a bit strange, especially since I have tried it multiple times over a range of weeks. So ... what can be the cause and any suggestions for a solution ?

About the cause .. I'm afraid it was caused by a fight between my Mac mini and a 16TB Seagate drive that I wanted to erase and format with in Mac encryption (a fight I haven't won either so far). I did try to win this fight in the safe mode and after that the problems with the Apple ID sync started. So I decided to log out and sign in again. The latter failed.

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 2:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 2:19 AM

Humour me here and try logging on to your Apple ID Account from the link below

My Apple ID

If you can login there, which probably you can, because you have logged into these Apple Support Community Forums to post this question.

The Computer Password its a very different matter.

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

Intel Computer

1 - Shutdown the computer 

1A - Restart computer and immediately hold the two keyboard combo Command  r 

1B - If using a Bluetooth Keyboard with Rechargeable Battery - Cable the Keyboard to computer for this unique purpose. Bluetooth Kernel may not load soon enough to execute the 2 keyboard commands 

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

1B - If using a Bluetooth Keyboard with Rechargeable Battery - Cable the Keyboard to computer for this unique purpose. Bluetooth Kernel may not load soon enough.

2- Do not  attempt a Restart to access this feature. The computer Must be Shutdown and pause for about 10 seconds before moving forwards 

3 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

4 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

5 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

6 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

7 - Press Return key

8 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2023 2:19 AM in response to Ronald_van_de_Langenberg

Humour me here and try logging on to your Apple ID Account from the link below

My Apple ID

If you can login there, which probably you can, because you have logged into these Apple Support Community Forums to post this question.

The Computer Password its a very different matter.

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

Intel Computer

1 - Shutdown the computer 

1A - Restart computer and immediately hold the two keyboard combo Command  r 

1B - If using a Bluetooth Keyboard with Rechargeable Battery - Cable the Keyboard to computer for this unique purpose. Bluetooth Kernel may not load soon enough to execute the 2 keyboard commands 

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 / M2 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

1B - If using a Bluetooth Keyboard with Rechargeable Battery - Cable the Keyboard to computer for this unique purpose. Bluetooth Kernel may not load soon enough.

2- Do not  attempt a Restart to access this feature. The computer Must be Shutdown and pause for about 10 seconds before moving forwards 

3 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

4 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

5 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

6 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

7 - Press Return key

8 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Can't sign in on my Apple ID on my Mac mini M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.