Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch mutes phone notifications

As a physician it is imperative I hear my phone for emergencies. Unfortunately the notifications on my phone get muted by my watch. The slight ping made by the watch is not enough in the middle of the night or in a loud environment to make certain I hear the pages. Is there a work around?

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 4:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 5:04 AM

Yes

Apart from actual phone calls which ring on both by default, the Sounds and haptic notifications and banners for messages etc follow these rules…

If the phone is in use (open) then you get tangible notifications on the phone only. Messages and Mail still appear silently on the Watch in the relevant app without banner..

If the phone is locked you get tangible notifications on the Watch only. If you have notifications set for iPhone Lock Screen or Notification center they still go to the phone, but silently without banner. 

If you go into each notification type and use Custom and then disallow notifications the alerts and banners go to the phone always and not to the Watch

I think that may be your option and often allows you do set a purchased ringtone (crazy frog?) fir some apps like Messages.

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2023 5:04 AM in response to Mf5278

Yes

Apart from actual phone calls which ring on both by default, the Sounds and haptic notifications and banners for messages etc follow these rules…

If the phone is in use (open) then you get tangible notifications on the phone only. Messages and Mail still appear silently on the Watch in the relevant app without banner..

If the phone is locked you get tangible notifications on the Watch only. If you have notifications set for iPhone Lock Screen or Notification center they still go to the phone, but silently without banner. 

If you go into each notification type and use Custom and then disallow notifications the alerts and banners go to the phone always and not to the Watch

I think that may be your option and often allows you do set a purchased ringtone (crazy frog?) fir some apps like Messages.

Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Watch mutes phone notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.