Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo/AT&T mail

In recent days Mac Mail wants my password and then rejects it. Sometimes I'm told to go to Internet Accounts, sometimes to Yahoo. Either way, it generally says login and password don't match. My workaround has been to change the password, but then I still get stuck soon afterward.

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 5:14 AM

The solution is to remove the affected email account(s), and add them again as described at the conclusion of If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support: Remove your email account, then add it back.

Be sure to heed the Important note in the first document.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2023 5:14 AM in response to annbivalent

The solution is to remove the affected email account(s), and add them again as described at the conclusion of If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support: Remove your email account, then add it back.

Be sure to heed the Important note in the first document.

Mar 19, 2023 4:04 PM in response to annbivalent

In that case back up a step in If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support, where it suggests using the email service provider's webmail interface:

Test using webmail

Many email providers offer webmail, which is a way to use email with a web browser such as Safari, instead of with an email app such as Mail. ...

Webmail is a good way to verify that your account is valid, but it doesn't mean that your account is set up correctly in Mail. Your email provider can help you verify your email settings and check for other issues that affect sending or receiving email.

In other words try logging in to your Yahoo/AT&T email account using Safari. By doing that you will be able to confirm your login credentials are correct.

Mar 19, 2023 4:29 PM in response to John Galt

Currently I am logged into both the Web version of AT&T email and Mail on my iMac, but on the MacBook my login is still being rejected. I have a linked account for my husband and me that is also hanging up. The problem is probably with the Yahoo/AT&T Currently service, but I haven't been able to get help there and thought someone here might have solved a similar issue. Might it have to do with the old pacbell.net domain in our email addresses?

Mar 19, 2023 4:44 PM in response to annbivalent

I recall fielding a similar question a few months ago which led me to these AT$T unhelpful help pages:

https://www.att.com/support/article/email-support/KM1010489

Be sure to select Mac OS X Mail (all) from the dropdown menu. Those instructions have allegedly been updated recently but the fact they continue to refer to macOS by its older "OS X" name does not inspire confidence.

Might it have to do with the old pacbell.net domain in our email addresses?

It really ought not to. AT$T absorbed a lot of domain names including Currently.com and several others which their servers are supposed to resolve.

Yahoo/AT&T mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.