Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Apple Watch from family watch to one paired with its own iPhone

I currently have two watches for my kids that were set up as family watches but now they each have their own iPhone and I would like to pair the watches with their iPhone. What is the best way to do this? Also, right now, they’re Apple watches have their own phone number because they were set up as family watches but if I pair them with their iPhone well that mean that one phone number will call both the watch and the phone? I assume I will need to speak with my cellular provider about this if I make this change, yes?

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 5:51 PM

Yes, you should speak with your carrier. The carrier will have to change the watch phone number to match the number on the iPhone. Once they do that see the 'Before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch' section in:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

to reset and erase the watch. Then setup and pair the watch with their iPhone:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

BTW, I am assuming you still want to use the stand-alone cellular feature of the watch. You don't have to enable that feature during the setup process. A GPS-only watch can do everything a GPS+Cellular watch can as long as it is near the paired iPhone. And you will save the ~$10 monthly charge from your carrier.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2023 5:51 PM in response to chasndav4

Yes, you should speak with your carrier. The carrier will have to change the watch phone number to match the number on the iPhone. Once they do that see the 'Before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch' section in:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

to reset and erase the watch. Then setup and pair the watch with their iPhone:

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

BTW, I am assuming you still want to use the stand-alone cellular feature of the watch. You don't have to enable that feature during the setup process. A GPS-only watch can do everything a GPS+Cellular watch can as long as it is near the paired iPhone. And you will save the ~$10 monthly charge from your carrier.

How to change Apple Watch from family watch to one paired with its own iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.