Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID

How can I prevent my identity, my Apple ID password and iCloud data etc from being changed and stolen by a thief if my iPhone is stolen and the thief has filmed me inputting my 6 digit passcode? I didn’t realize that a thief could change my Apple ID password if he had access to my 6 digit passcode for my phone. I have never had occasion to change my Apple ID password. I thought I would have to input the old password first before changing it to a new password. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. If a thief has my 6 digit passcode they can change my Apple ID password and lock me out of all my accounts according to recent news stories. This is very worrying.

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 9:11 PM

Read this document if you think your Apple ID has been compromised. --> If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

For iOS 15 or earlier, if you want to see if anyone else has access to your device or accounts, click here --> See who has access to your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

For iOS 16 or later see how Safety Check on iPhone works to keep you safe. How Safety Check on iPhone works to keep you safe - Apple Support

Related materials:

Personal Safety User Guide

Personal Safety User Guide - Apple Support

> open the Table of Contents

A document with general information about security and your Apple ID --> Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security by clicking on this link --> Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support "This article provides country-specific Apple Support contact information for customers seeking help with their Apple ID password or other security-related issues."

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2023 9:11 PM in response to PTakeshige

Read this document if you think your Apple ID has been compromised. --> If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

For iOS 15 or earlier, if you want to see if anyone else has access to your device or accounts, click here --> See who has access to your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

For iOS 16 or later see how Safety Check on iPhone works to keep you safe. How Safety Check on iPhone works to keep you safe - Apple Support

Related materials:

Personal Safety User Guide

Personal Safety User Guide - Apple Support

> open the Table of Contents

A document with general information about security and your Apple ID --> Security and your Apple ID - Apple Support

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security by clicking on this link --> Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support "This article provides country-specific Apple Support contact information for customers seeking help with their Apple ID password or other security-related issues."

Mar 18, 2023 11:50 PM in response to Limnos

Recently the Wall Street Journal had an article and a YouTube video about a woman who was looking at her iPhone in a bar and she had just input her 6 digit passcode and the phone was taken out of her hand by a thief. The thief immediately changed her 6 digit code (he knew what it was as an accomplice had filmed it) and also changed her Apple ID password which he could do easily because he had her 6 digit code and the phone was open. He also changed her trusted alternate phone number to his number. Within hours he took $10,000 out of her bank accounts (all the passwords etc were in the apps on her phone). He also made some kind of Apple credit card and did a bunch of shopping with it. She was locked out of her iCloud account on all of her other devices. AND she has never been able to get any of that data back, 15 years of photos are gone.

This kind of theft has been happening in bars in New York City and Seattle as well as other places. I know the best thing to do is to NOT use your phone in a bar or other public place or to cover you phone when inputting the 6 digit passcode or make an alphanumeric passcode. But is there anything else we can do in SETTINGS, for example, that would stop these thieves from stealing all you data and money??

I didn’t realize that if someone knows your phone’s 6 digit passcode, they can easily change your Apple ID password with no effort.

Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.