Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't use downloaded videos in imovie

Using my daughter's laptop to make my annual family video. We don't use the same apple account so I can't import directly from Photos. On safari I logged into my icloud account. Downloaded all my favorite pictures and videos to a folder on her desktop. Uploaded them into an imovie new project and now none of my videos show up - just black space. Please help!

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 9:05 AM

It might be that the videos are in an older, legacy, format that is incompatible with iMovie running on Catalina or later. Here's a link that shows the compatible and incompatible formats:

About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS – Apple Support (AU)

If the above is not the problem, try deleting/resetting preferences. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while

holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie usually will open in a new empty library. If so, reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your videos will display and play properly. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, be sure that your software is up to date.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2023 9:05 AM in response to Swimlikeabrown

It might be that the videos are in an older, legacy, format that is incompatible with iMovie running on Catalina or later. Here's a link that shows the compatible and incompatible formats:

About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS – Apple Support (AU)

If the above is not the problem, try deleting/resetting preferences. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while

holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie usually will open in a new empty library. If so, reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your videos will display and play properly. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Also, be sure that your software is up to date.

-- Rich

Can't use downloaded videos in imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.