Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Highlighting search term in Notes

When I do a search in Notes on my iPad, on the note page that my search brings me to, sometimes the search term is highlighted, sometimes not. And sometimes there are 5 icons at the top right of the note page, and sometimes 3 icons.

Is there a way to set up Notes so that when I enter a search term, and then click on the suggested Notes page, that the search term I entered is highlighted?

And why the difference in the number of icons?

iPad (5th generation)

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 5:49 AM

I've figured out my issue. Searches that resulted in Notes that were saved to iCloud did show my search term highlighted. Searches that resulted in Notes that were saved to my gmail account did not show my search term highlighted. So now I am in the process of transferring all of my Gmail Notes to iCloud.

As well, the Notes in iCloud did have the 5 icons in the upper right, Notes in gmail had just 3.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2023 5:49 AM in response to mikeg28806

I've figured out my issue. Searches that resulted in Notes that were saved to iCloud did show my search term highlighted. Searches that resulted in Notes that were saved to my gmail account did not show my search term highlighted. So now I am in the process of transferring all of my Gmail Notes to iCloud.

As well, the Notes in iCloud did have the 5 icons in the upper right, Notes in gmail had just 3.

Mar 21, 2023 11:10 AM in response to gordoon

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities gordoon,

The following steps offer guidance on searching Notes on your iPad:

You can search for tags, typed and handwritten text, objects that appear in images, and text in scanned documents.
1. Swipe down on the notes list to reveal the search field.
2. Tap the search field, then enter what you’re looking for. You can also choose a suggested search, such as “Notes with Drawings,” then enter additional text to refine your search.
3. If a note is locked, only its title appears in the search results. The search includes handwritten text (in supported languages), photos, and scanned documents.

Search your notes on iPad

If you need more help, providing additional information or screenshots of what you're seeing may increase the chance that you'll get a helpful response.

Cheers!

Highlighting search term in Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.