Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Opening old iTunes Libraries on external hard drives in Music in Catalina.

I am a picture/sound editor. Over the years I have kept a variety of iTunes media on separate hard drives with a dedicated iTunes library for that media on the same drive. The sources of the media vary from digitised vinyl to CDs and personal/professional recordings. I use iTunes as a way to review sounds before importing them into my editing app.

According to my need: Sound effects or Music for professional use (AIFF/WAV), or music for personal use (mp4), I have previously always connected the relevant drive, alt clicked, when opening iTunes, then selected the library I needed at the time. Most of the library's media are far too big for my computer, hence the hard drives. This organisation represents years of work. Is there any way I can keep these iTunes libraries on their dedicated hard drives and open them in Music and keep all my meta data? I have tried various solutions suggested elsewhere. None has worked so far.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 2:28 PM

Yes, Music can open and convert iTunes Library.itl files to the .musiclibrary format, by holding down option at launch the same way you switch libraries with iTunes. Once that is done you could move the relevant .musiclibrary package into the same folder as the .itl file. Or see Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community for advice on updating an iTunes library to the Music format. What you cannot do is get changes made in Music to sync back to the iTunes library so that you could use it again with an older Mac. Apple only goes forwards.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2023 2:28 PM in response to catfamiliar

Yes, Music can open and convert iTunes Library.itl files to the .musiclibrary format, by holding down option at launch the same way you switch libraries with iTunes. Once that is done you could move the relevant .musiclibrary package into the same folder as the .itl file. Or see Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community for advice on updating an iTunes library to the Music format. What you cannot do is get changes made in Music to sync back to the iTunes library so that you could use it again with an older Mac. Apple only goes forwards.

tt2

Opening old iTunes Libraries on external hard drives in Music in Catalina.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.