Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import iTunes music libraries to a new Music app on a new laptop

Hi

First, some background.

I have used a Macbook Pro for DJing and then for organizing my music libraries for many years.

Currently, I use iTunes on a late 2016 Macbook Pro running Mojave, with 4 different iTunes libraries, one of these was dedicated for DJing, and this library is stored on an external HD.

This library is also synced to other DJ softwares, like Traktor and Rekordbox, who are both capable of reading the iTunes library directly.

I am mentioning this, because I need to keep all my music files at their current respective paths, as to not create a situation where the DJing software loses the locations of the files.

Right.

So I have purchased a new Macbook Pro 16" running Monterey.

I was advised not to restore the old Macbook into the new machine, and rather do a clean install.

I am now in the middle of this tedious process, but can't seem to be getting the new Apple Music app to read the old iTunes libraries.

I've followed this thread as carefully as I can, as it describes the same issue, but the various solutions can't seem to cover my specific case.

Import iTunes library into clean installa… - Apple Community

Would love to be able to resolve this very annoying issue, if someone might be able to help please.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Dec 14, 2022 1:43 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Dec 17, 2022 10:59 AM in response to funkfly

Hi funkfly,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, your libraries are on your old Mac and you want to move them over to your new Mac as part of this process. Is that right or are some of these files on external devices.

If you're transferring to the new Mac, you can start with the guidance in Transfer your data to your new MacBook Pro which will guide you through transferring wirelessly or using an adapter.

Once you've done that, you can select which library that you use for different apps and activities. Guidance below is from Use multiple libraries in Music on Mac.

"Create or choose a library

1. In the Music app on your Mac, choose Music > Quit Music.
  2. Hold down the Option key while you reopen Music.
  3. In the window that appears, do one of the following:
    • Create a new library: Click Create Library.
    • Choose a different library: Click Choose Library.

You can name your new library (the folder containing your Music content) whatever you like. For best results, if you create additional music libraries, don’t name the new libraries “Music” or “New Music.” Make sure each library has a unique name so you’ll know which is which."

All the best.

Dec 17, 2022 11:45 AM in response to funkfly

Hi funkfly,

As you may have surmised by now this library import function is fundamentally broken in later builds of Monterey. I don't know exactly when it was introduced. If you're able to upgrade to Ventura that doesn't suffer from the same issue and should upgrade .itl files correctly. Alternatively the .itl files can be converted using Catalina or Big Sur. The media files are not required to be present for the conversion. I've done a bunch of these remotely with people sending me their .itl files, or a link to them in a cloud location, by email, and me posting back a link to the converted .musiclibrary database in my OneDrive folder. Should you need me to do this for you then you can find my email address in my profile.

tt2

Dec 17, 2022 12:14 PM in response to faith185

Thank you for your reply @faith185.

I have tried these steps

"Create or choose a library
In the Music app on your Mac, choose Music > Quit Music.
Hold down the Option key while you reopen Music.
In the window that appears, do one of the following:
Create a new library: Click Create Library.
Choose a different library: Click Choose Library.

But this is where things don't work for me.

Nothing happens after I choose the relevant iTunes Library file (*.itl) - a new music library file appears where I chose it to be stored, but it's a very small file (a few bytes as apposed to the original itl file which is 17 MB).

Obviously Music app won't show any of my previous tracks or playlists, it's as if I created a new, empty library.

One more thing that is important to me here, that in the process of importing the iTunes library to Music app, I must keep all the music files paths intact, as the library is also synced to 3rd party software (either Rekordbox by Pioneer or Traktor by Native Instruments)

Dec 17, 2022 1:11 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you so much @turingtest2 for your kind offer.

My machine is running Monterey as some of the software I'm running is still not compatible with Ventura. But my wife runs Ventura on her laptop, so you think I could try and import the library database on her computer to the Music app and then use it on my Monterey machine?

Dec 17, 2022 1:30 PM in response to funkfly

I've just checked to be sure, but once Ventura has touched the .musiclibrary database it won't be compatible with older builds of Music in older versions of macOS. The libraries are forward compatible only.

How many libraries do you need to update? The process itself only takes me a minute or two. Takes longer to wrap up the results in a .zip file, move it to my OneDrive, upload it, create a share link, and then an email to send it back.

tt2

Can't import iTunes music libraries to a new Music app on a new laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.