Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone System Data too large

My 64GB iPhone XS is full. I've offloaded all the unnecessary apps. I realized 35GB of storage is System Data!

I have cleared the browser's cache. After offloading apps and clearing cache, it freed about 5GB. I left my phone alone and within 30 mins, it said it was full again, even though I didn't do anything.

I stream a bit on Netflix, Disney+ and YouTube. Some sites said those can take up cache, but I can't see how to delete it.

Any suggestions on how to clear up some system data or what would cause it to fill up when it isn't being used?

iPhone XS, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 2:57 PM

7 replies

Mar 19, 2023 5:06 PM in response to rgraves

rgraves Said:

"iPhone System Data too large: My 64GB iPhone XS is full. I've offloaded all the unnecessary apps. I realized 35GB of storage is System Data![...]"

-------

Troubleshooting iPad Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do...

Clear Space, Using my User Tips:

Mar 19, 2023 7:41 PM in response to rgraves

rgraves Said:

"iPhone System Data too large: Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I backed up the phone to my mac and did a restore from it. That solved the problem. I was surprised I needed to go to that extent to free up space but at least everything seems to be working."

-------

You are welcome. Excellent job troubleshooting this!

Mar 19, 2023 5:08 PM in response to rgraves

rgraves Said:

"iPhone System Data too large: My 64GB iPhone XS is full. I've offloaded all the unnecessary apps. I realized 35GB of storage is System Data![...]"

-------

About Clearing "System Data":

"System Data" is formerly called "Other". So, see my User Tip about clearing it: How to Clear "Other" in your iPhone's Storage - Use Backup - User Tip

iPhone System Data too large

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.