You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airtag issue with new iPhone

I had a previous iPhone and it detected the Airtag inside my car, even from over 1 km away. I just got a new iPhone 12 and restored the backup from my previous iPhone. The problem is my new iPhone 12 has difficulty detecting the Airtag (paired with the previous iPhone) when I put it inside my car or even in a cabinet 3 feet away. Only when the Airtag is next to the iPhone 12 is it detected. What is causing this issue?

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 6:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 7:48 PM

I found the solution. I spent a lot of time using the two fingers on the Airtag to try and open the cover by turning counter-clock wise. My fingers kept slipping on the smooth cover. My fingers were sore from trying. Then I used the heel of my palm, pressed it down on the Airtag cover and twisted counter-clock wise. That opened the battery cover right away. So, if you are having difficulty opening the battery cover on the Airtag, use the heel of your palm. The heel of the palm puts more friction on the battery cover than your two fingers.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 19, 2023 7:48 PM in response to iPhoneOnt

I found the solution. I spent a lot of time using the two fingers on the Airtag to try and open the cover by turning counter-clock wise. My fingers kept slipping on the smooth cover. My fingers were sore from trying. Then I used the heel of my palm, pressed it down on the Airtag cover and twisted counter-clock wise. That opened the battery cover right away. So, if you are having difficulty opening the battery cover on the Airtag, use the heel of your palm. The heel of the palm puts more friction on the battery cover than your two fingers.

Airtag issue with new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.