Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard language changes unexpectedly

Hi all, since updating to Ventura, my MacBook Pro changes languages unexpectedly.

For example after launching Numbers or Pages.

I found no option to define a default language in the Keyboard settings, neither in the specific app settings, e.g. Numbers.

Please note that I have 3 languages defined and I need them so, the option of just leaving one on the list is not for me.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 8:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 8:59 AM

Go to System Settings > General > Language and Regions. At the bottom of that page it allows you to add a language to a specific app under "Applications". If there is already a language for an app, you can also change it here.

7 replies

Mar 20, 2023 1:09 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks Tom,

To select keyboard languages, I click on the menu bar and pick the one I need (see screenshot). I've done this since forever, never used shortcuts for this.

It randomly changes language keyboard, meaning it takes for me to start writing to note a bunch of typos because it switched without me knowing.

Of course it responds when I manually pick back the one I need.

Mar 21, 2023 2:42 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for following up Tom.

I've Fn/Globe set for something else (showing emojis), but no, quick testing now and no keyboard change.

Control space does not change keyboard language, no other apparent action either.

I'd say 90% sure the keyboard changes when switching apps (only randomly, not all the time). After your suggestion I'll test if it does in the middle of my typing.

Thanks!

Keyboard language changes unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.