Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume of everything is too loud all of a sudden on iPhone

I have an iPhone XS (IOS 16.3.1) All of a sudden all my notification sounds are extremely loud even if the volume button on the side of the phone is turned down really low. When I get text messages, email notifications, send a text, etc., they are all very loud. I'm not sure what needs to be adjusted.

Now on the flip side, I have also stopped hearing text messages from businesses. Some of them are important and I need to respond to them quickly, but I can't if I don't know I even got the text. I don't know how to fix that either. And no, the switch on the side of the phone is not in silent mode. Please help.

iPhone XS, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 3:26 PM

Forgot to mention that I fixed the loud volume by going into settings>sounds & haptics>then turning on the "change with buttons" option. This allowed me to control the volume using the up/down volume button on the side of my phone.

5 replies

Mar 22, 2023 4:03 PM in response to Bvwilliams

Hey Bvwilliams,

Thanks for bringing that issue back up!

To help isolate the issue further, in Settings > Messages do you have Filter Unknown Senders enabled? If so, then we do want to let you know that it would be expected to not receive notifications from messages sent from someone not in your contacts.

This information can be found in this link here: Block, filter, and report messages on iPhone - Apple Support

Filter messages from unknown senders
With iMessage, you can filter messages from unknown senders, and you won’t get notifications from them.

Go to Settings  > Messages, scroll down to Message Filtering, then turn on Filter Unknown Senders.

When this setting is on, you can only see messages from people who aren’t in your contacts when you go to Filters > Unknown Senders.

Note: You canʼt open any links in a message from an unknown sender until you add the sender to your contacts or reply to the message.

If Filter Unknown Senders is already disabled, try turning the setting on then back off, restart your iPhone, and test the issue once more. Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

How to restart your iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, or later
1. Press and hold either volume button and the side button until the power-off slider appears.
2. Drag the slider, then wait 30 seconds for your device to turn off. If your device is frozen or unresponsive, force restart your device.
3. To turn your device back on, press and hold the side button (on the right side of your iPhone) until you see the Apple logo.

Keep us updated on the results.

Take care!

Mar 21, 2023 5:55 PM in response to Bvwilliams

Hi Bvwilliams,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

We understand you have two issues. With the issue about not hearing texts from businesses, you may have Unknown Senders turned off in Settings > Notifications > Messages. Scroll down to Customize Notifications and check whether the button is enabled in the Allow Notifications section.

For the issue with volume, go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics and make sure that you have the slider moved towards the left side. If this continues, try changing the sound and check whether this continues. Resetting settings will remove current setting preferences and allow you to set them up again. Back up iPhone to iCloud or your computer and reset your Settings.

This rest won't remove ccontent such as your photos, contacts, or messages, but you will need to setup wallpaper, ringtones, Wi-Fi and Face ID again.

Choose Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

After the reset, your iPhone will restart and you can check for the same behavior with your volume.

Contact Apple Support if it continue beyond this step.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Adjust the volume on iPhone - Apple Support

Regards.

Volume of everything is too loud all of a sudden on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.