Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ghost text notifications

Hey all,

I have a notification on my text messages showing that there are 4 unread messages when that is not the case. I feel like I’ve tried everything to get rid of them but does anyone know the answer?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 1:11 PM

I read some more forums and found a solution that worked for me. It got resolved by asking Siri to read any unread text messages.

3 replies

Mar 22, 2023 8:49 AM in response to Dpost1377

Hello Dpost377,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see you have some questions about your notifications still showing, after you've already read them, and we'd like to help. First, we'd like to make sure your device is updated, as this can help keep the most recent settings on your device: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Update your iPhone or iPad wirelessly
1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. If you see more than one software update option available, choose the one that you want to install.
The Settings app on iPhone showing options to update to iOS 15.7 or iOS 16.
5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

Also, be sure to check your group messages, and scroll through those, to ensure nothing has been left unread.

You may also want to Restart your iPhone, to see if the issue remains.

Regards.

Ghost text notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.