Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EPSON V39 won't scan because it needs updated driver on Ventura

mac os Ventura and my epson V39 won't scan. Epson software updater says the latest driver is distributed by Apple's software update, but my apple software doesn't need updating. How do I get the driver so my epson scanner will work??

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 10:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 2:32 AM

I sense the user maybe referring to this link from Epson as it relates to the Scanner V39 ?

The information in that link is related to OS X which Stopped being Named that way in macOS X 10.12 Sierra released in 2016

link below

https://epson.ca/faq/SPT_B11B232201~faq-272605?faq_cat=faq-topFaqs

In which case perhaps this Link below should point the user in the right direct for possible newer Drives from Epson

Be sure to choose the Correct version of macOS

Their Site will NOT Detect the proper version of macOS and generally defaults to macOS 10.15 Catalina

https://epson.ca/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-V39/s/SPT_B11B232201#drivers

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2023 2:32 AM in response to laurnyc

I sense the user maybe referring to this link from Epson as it relates to the Scanner V39 ?

The information in that link is related to OS X which Stopped being Named that way in macOS X 10.12 Sierra released in 2016

link below

https://epson.ca/faq/SPT_B11B232201~faq-272605?faq_cat=faq-topFaqs

In which case perhaps this Link below should point the user in the right direct for possible newer Drives from Epson

Be sure to choose the Correct version of macOS

Their Site will NOT Detect the proper version of macOS and generally defaults to macOS 10.15 Catalina

https://epson.ca/Support/Scanners/Perfection-Series/Epson-Perfection-V39/s/SPT_B11B232201#drivers

Mar 21, 2023 5:01 AM in response to laurnyc

In Oct 2022, Epson released an updated ICA driver for the V39 scanner that specifically allowed it to work with Apple's Image Capture application. You might consider obtaining that ICA driver only and then trying Image Capture with it for scanning.

The main V39 driver and the Epson Scan 2 utility were last updated in 2021, a full two years before the release of Ventura, and before the official Apple release of macOS Monterey. That implies that Epson tested the latter driver and software on beta Monterey software, and yet they now propose that this 2021 driver and Scan 2 Utility are compatible with Monterey and even Ventura. I responded to a post yesterday regarding these very issues with the V39 scanner. Epson's assumption that Apple includes drivers for the v39 is entirely wrong.

The optional VueScan Professional scanning software will only support this scanner with the scanner driver (not ICA driver) installed.

Mar 21, 2023 6:25 PM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX - thank you. I want to make sure i'm installing the correct driver since there are three choices. I should install this:

ICA Scanner Driver v5.8.12 for Image Capture 

NOT the scanner driver and utilities combo package, or the Scan Smart Core Files, right?

I'll check out your response to yesterday';s post (sorry - I didn't find it) and hope it works. back if it doesn't.

If needed, where would I find the VueScan Professional scanning software and which scanner driver is supported?

Appreciate your help.

Mar 21, 2023 6:54 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank, P. Phillips. I'll give it a try. What I do know is that the scanner finally turned on when I installed that driver so it's a good sign.

ON the same page and also dated 2022, is a software update (is it needed too?) and some other utilities. I'll try it all out.

appreciate your quick response (and warning to choose the correct OS)

EPSON V39 won't scan because it needs updated driver on Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.