Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have 256 GB phone storage in my old phone, new phone has 128 GB, icloud space is 2TB, when i transfer the photos, first the iphone storage 128 of my new phone is getting filled up. how to take all the memory directly to icloud?

i have 256 GB phone storage in my old phone, new phone has 128 GB, icloud space is 2TB, when i transfer the photos, first the iphone storage 128 of my new phone is getting filled up. how to take all the memory directly to icloud?

iPhone 14 Plus

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 3:52 AM

1 reply

Mar 22, 2023 10:37 AM in response to Reyna2000

Hi Reyna2000,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities.

Because the storage on new iPhone is less than that of the old iPhone, it would be best to determine which content you wan to transfer to the new iPhone. When iCloud is enabled, it simply syncs content from one device to another and holds iPhone backups of content that isn't already in iCloud. It would not be able to hold the additional storage that is not available on iPhone.

Device storage

An Apple device like an iPhone, iPad, or Mac comes with a set amount of storage. The more storage your device has, the more music, apps, photos, and other content you can store on that device. If your device storage is almost full or full, you might get an alert.
Here's how to check the amount of device storage you've used and, if needed, how to optimize and manage your storage space.
Check the device storage on your iPhone or iPad
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Tap General.
3. Tap iPhone Storage or iPad Storage to check the amount of device storage that you've used.
4. The amount of storage that you've used, and how much is still available is shown in the top section.
If you want to free up storage space on your iPhone or iPad:
* Learn how to optimize storage space on your iPhone or iPad.
* Learn how to manage your photo and video storage.

iCloud storage

To access your content on any device and help optimize your storage, you can also use iCloud storage. You can use iCloud storage to keep photos, videos, device backups, and more, and keep this content up-to-date across your devices. When your iCloud storage is almost full or full, you might get an alert and you can buy more.
If you want to free up iCloud storage space:
* Learn how to make more iCloud storage space available.
* Learn how to get more iCloud storage.
Check your iCloud storage on your iPhone or iPad
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Tap your name.
3. Tap iCloud to check the amount of iCloud storage that you've used.
4. The amount of iCloud storage that you've used, and the total amount that you have, are shown in the top section.
5. Tap Manage Account Storage for more details about your iCloud usage. 

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Regards.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.