Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit cursor bugs

TextEdit's cursor tracking has become increasingly erratic with each MacOS upgrade. The latest bug might actually be an attempted fix for an earlier one, where recently added text would disappear until you scrolled beyond it and then back again. Now, in Ventura, parts of new text, while visible, have become inaccessible; you cannot position the cursor within that text using the mouse, and if you try using the arrow keys, the cursor will jump to a place before or after the text.

In such cases, edits will take place a few characters beyond where the cursor is, so by trial and error you can figure out how far before or after the text you need to be and type the revisions you want. Obviously this is extremely tedious.

Also, in a document of any length, every time you add a bulleted line, the document will jump to a different page. You can usually get back by using the arrow up then down keys, but this is beyond distracting.

And in a long document, TextEdit seems unable to load the entire document at once. The scrollbar starts out long, and gradually shortens as you scroll through the document.

I've waited a long time to ask about this because I assumed that my very old Paragraph Styles were causing the problem, now that TextEdit has its own "text background color" tool. But Paragraph Styles are still a part of TextEdit. And even a new document that sets styling without Paragraph Styles has these bugs.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 11:45 AM

"Me too" button doesn't suffice. I did a double-take to ensure I did not originate this post myself. I've been calling & begging for help on this since I was forced to give up my 2015 MacBook in October to keep up with all the upgrades. The difference between TextEdit on Mojave & TextEdit on Ventura is as if it's a completely different (& MUCH WORSE) software now.

I often insert screenshots for context, but even if I don't get "fancy" like that, TextEdit has become too erratic, jumping all over the page, putting the cursor in one place while typing in another, & many other issues. When trying to take notes during a live presentation, it's impossible to keep up & I end up missing important points because of this buggy iteration.

And there are no good replacements out there. I never wanted to use Word because it has its own settings I need for my work as an editor, plus it is more robust & uses up more CPU than needed for a simple text program.

Not sure why Apple has ruined this app & abandoned it. I've been told there's nothing they can do over & over. WHY?

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 11:45 AM in response to Wienken

"Me too" button doesn't suffice. I did a double-take to ensure I did not originate this post myself. I've been calling & begging for help on this since I was forced to give up my 2015 MacBook in October to keep up with all the upgrades. The difference between TextEdit on Mojave & TextEdit on Ventura is as if it's a completely different (& MUCH WORSE) software now.

I often insert screenshots for context, but even if I don't get "fancy" like that, TextEdit has become too erratic, jumping all over the page, putting the cursor in one place while typing in another, & many other issues. When trying to take notes during a live presentation, it's impossible to keep up & I end up missing important points because of this buggy iteration.

And there are no good replacements out there. I never wanted to use Word because it has its own settings I need for my work as an editor, plus it is more robust & uses up more CPU than needed for a simple text program.

Not sure why Apple has ruined this app & abandoned it. I've been told there's nothing they can do over & over. WHY?

Mar 23, 2023 11:58 AM in response to Wienken

Hello Wienken,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. We see you're experiencing multiple issues with TextEdit. Have you tested this in more than one account on your Mac? Also, testing safe mode could help us determine if third party apps or processes could be the cause. Here is how: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If you find that this happens on any Mac you use, it may be a good idea to submit feedback on the matter here: Feedback - macOS - Apple

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Mar 23, 2023 12:56 PM in response to Wienken

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This documents describe what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is designed solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

I recommend you uninstall BitDefender according to the developer's instructions, reboot and test TextEdit.

Mar 26, 2023 2:00 PM in response to grossmusic

For some reason the "helpful" button on your reply is greyed out, so I just marked it "best answer"--which, actually, it is.

Anyway, thanks. I know I've seen complaints about something similar, but one does get the feeling of being singularly cursed, so it's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

And a followup: I did reboot to Safe Mode. Same bugs.

TextEdit cursor bugs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.