Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reduce noise with noise print in FCP?

I thought there used to be a feature in FCP where you could copy a clip of background noise in a silent part of the audio, create a noise print and use that to remove that noise from the entire clip. I don't see that feature anymore...

Is that part of another software? Using compression and other tools seems to maybe be more precise but it is more tedious....

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 10:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 10:34 AM

The free app Audacity has the ability to create a noise print in order to reduce background noise and it works superbly.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

Alternatively, the latest versions of FCP have the Voice Isolation feature which is quite simple, quick and effective.

7 replies

Mar 22, 2023 10:40 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks. I used voice isolation but was getting some traffic noise that I couldn't quite remove. It got better with some equalizer and some other steps, but not as clean as Soundtrack used to be. I have Audacity and thanks for the info. This was a quick project for a friend and didn't want to take the time to export and modify the audio and place it back, but that is a future option for clients.

I had an issue in another video where the AV guy left on a second microphone and we got a millisecond delay / echo. Could not for the life of me figure out how to remove that. Both were on a single audio track ...

Any thoughts?

Mar 22, 2023 12:18 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

Finally here is an Audacity tutorial by someone going under the Crumplepop banner.

https://crumplepop.com/how-to-remove-echo-in-audacity/#:~:text=Audacity%20is%20one%20of%20the,option%20to%20tackle%20unwanted%20sounds.

He starts out by using Audacity's Noise Reduction filter and then goes on to suggest ways of eliminating echo using the Noise Gate.

I haven't tried it myself but it won't cost anything other than a few minutes of your time.

Reduce noise with noise print in FCP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.