Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sim card

1. BEFORE starting the transfer of ALL data from my old iPhone to my new one, do I transfer the original SIM card to the new phone?
  2. Is it better to use i-cloud or Quick Start?

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 9:32 AM

The following two support article should address your questions:

FYI ... Basically, you will want to transfer the SIM card before starting the transfer process. Also "Quick Start" would require that the iPhone you are transferring from is running, at least, iOS 11.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2023 9:32 AM in response to CarolynJuneNicol

The following two support article should address your questions:

FYI ... Basically, you will want to transfer the SIM card before starting the transfer process. Also "Quick Start" would require that the iPhone you are transferring from is running, at least, iOS 11.

Mar 23, 2023 10:46 AM in response to CarolynJuneNicol

All the times I've upgraded/replaced the iPhone, the carrier had put out newer versions of its SIM cards, so that needed an upgrade as well. Side note: your phone # is associated to a SIM, the current one, but can be associated to a newer, different SIM. That association is done by the carrier.

As for the transfer, the new iPhone needs to be activated first, done thru Apple's servers. That requires communication and can't be done via Wi-Fi cause it hasn't and can't be configured before activation. So a SIM (or eSIM) is needed.

"Quick Start" is convenient but also requires communication. The pair of iPhones will transfer your data between themselves, but not the apps you have rights to use. Those are downloaded from Apple in the process.

Sim card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.