Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lock Icon Stuck

I tried to install Windows 11 Home via Bootcamp, but failed. And then i restart the macbook, now it shows lock icon screen. I tried to put in my code, but doesn't work/does nothing. Can anyone help with the issue? Thanks!

Edit : i tried all commands, command + r, command + alt + r, shift(safe mode), option(select boot mode).

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 4:17 AM

Set a firmware password on your Mac

When you set a firmware password, users who don't have the password can't start up from any disk other than the designated startup disk.

This feature requires a Mac with an Intel processor. For the equivalent level of security on a Mac with Apple silicon, simply turn on FileVault. If the Mac is managed by MDM (mobile device management), MDM administrators can also remotely lock the Mac.

How to turn on a firmware password

1. Start up from macOS Recovery.
  2. When the utilities window appears, click Utilities in the menu bar, then choose Startup Security Utility or Firmware Password Utility.
  3. Click Turn On Firmware Password.
  4. Enter a firmware password in the fields provided, then click Set Password. Remember this password.
  5. Quit the utility, then choose Apple menu  > Restart.

Your Mac asks for the firmware password only when attempting to start up from a storage device other than the one selected in Startup Disk preferences, or when starting up from macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password when you see the lock and password field:

How to turn off a firmware password

1. Start up from macOS Recovery. During startup, you will be prompted to enter the firmware password.
  2. When the utilities window appears, click Utilities in the menu bar, then choose Startup Security Utility or Firmware Password Utility.
  3. Click Turn Off Firmware Password.
  4. Enter the firmware password again when prompted.

If you forgot your firmware password

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 4:17 AM in response to angga33

Set a firmware password on your Mac

When you set a firmware password, users who don't have the password can't start up from any disk other than the designated startup disk.

This feature requires a Mac with an Intel processor. For the equivalent level of security on a Mac with Apple silicon, simply turn on FileVault. If the Mac is managed by MDM (mobile device management), MDM administrators can also remotely lock the Mac.

How to turn on a firmware password

1. Start up from macOS Recovery.
  3. Click Turn On Firmware Password.
  4. Enter a firmware password in the fields provided, then click Set Password. Remember this password.

Your Mac asks for the firmware password only when attempting to start up from a storage device other than the one selected in Startup Disk preferences, or when starting up from macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password when you see the lock and password field:

How to turn off a firmware password

1. Start up from macOS Recovery. During startup, you will be prompted to enter the firmware password.
  3. Click Turn Off Firmware Password.
  4. Enter the firmware password again when prompted.

If you forgot your firmware password

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

Mar 24, 2023 3:49 AM in response to PRP_53

This is the issue, i can't boot into MacOS nor continue the windows setup. I restart it bunch of times, and tried all commands (recovery mode, option, boot picker, etc). I really need the answer asap as i didn't have any pc/laptop other than this mac :).

I have try to put in my code but it does nothing.

Mar 24, 2023 2:01 AM in response to angga33

Suggest the Uber read this article from Apple regarding using Bootcamp to install Microsoft Windows on an Apple Computer

It may containing additional insights useful to this process

Links below

Install Windows on your newer Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support (CA)

Install Windows on your older Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support (CA)

Excerpt for above link

" You can use Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 10 on your Intel-based Mac. "

Lock Icon Stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.