Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot watch rented movies in my library

Hello! I have a 2013 16 inch Macbook Pro, all software is updated. I'm having problems watching purchased or rented library movies directly on the computer. We often download movies to watch at a site with limited Wifi. Lately, all of my rented movies do not work. They don't even play even if not downloaded. My computer is authorized to play. I tried clearing my Play History AppleTV cache (as per Apple Insider Ap 5, 2021, who noted that the program seems to be buggy), but that did not help. I can play the movies on my iPhone. I would concur there is a software issue, as noted by the user GlowCreate last year. As with GlowCreate, the movie plays on my iPhone, just not on the Macbook. If I X out of the movie on iPhone, though, and go back to the computer, it still doesn't play. Can anyone help, please? Thank you so much in advance!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 10:00 PM

Rented titles can be streamed on one device, and downloaded on one other device to play offline. If you try to stream or download on more devices, then that wouldn’t work. Remove any downloads on other devices and quit the Apple TV app on other devices.

Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

If the issue persists, then please contact an expert from the Apple Support staff.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 10:00 PM in response to Rivergrrl

Rented titles can be streamed on one device, and downloaded on one other device to play offline. If you try to stream or download on more devices, then that wouldn’t work. Remove any downloads on other devices and quit the Apple TV app on other devices.

Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

If the issue persists, then please contact an expert from the Apple Support staff.

Mar 25, 2023 4:36 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you, but that is not my problem. I wasn't trying to download on two devices. I was trying to watch a downloaded movie from my library on AppleTV app on my MacBook Pro 2019. I wasn't even able to start play. I WAS able to start play on my iPhone. I talked with Apple Support last night, and he acknowledges some problems appear to have occurred with the app after my latest software update. What worked without reinstalling the OS was to remove the movie from my Macbook, then search for the same movie again in the app, and then hit play. If the problem persists, he says that I'll need to reinstall the OS.

Cannot watch rented movies in my library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.