Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move existing videos/Photos to iCloud and free up space on my iPhone?

Hello, My Question is this:

Im Newly just starting this process I just upgraded to I cloud 200 GB because my I phone 12 max pro 256 GB has no more space on it due to my videos & Photos taking up the majority of my space.

My Problem:

After adding the 200 GB package Option I can not figure out how to move my existing videos/Photos to the new 200 GB I cloud space and free up the space on my phone so I can have the space on my phone again ?

Thank You in Advance,

LBB

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 11:31 AM

Turn on iCloud Photos and the Optimize Storage option in iCloud Photos. See the information in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support including the following:

If you need to save space on your device

iCloud Photos keeps all your photos and videos in their original, high-resolution version. To save storage space on your device, you can turn on Optimize Storage.

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photos keeps your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device.

On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. Tap Photos.
  3. Choose Optimize [device] Storage.

Also be aware of the following:

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See the following Apple article for more information: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2023 11:31 AM in response to lbb36

Turn on iCloud Photos and the Optimize Storage option in iCloud Photos. See the information in Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support including the following:

If you need to save space on your device

iCloud Photos keeps all your photos and videos in their original, high-resolution version. To save storage space on your device, you can turn on Optimize Storage.

If you turn on Optimize Storage, iCloud Photos automatically manages the size of your library on your device. Your original photos and videos are stored in iCloud and space-saving versions are kept on your device. Your library is optimized only when you need space, starting with the photos and videos you access least. You can download the original photos and videos over Wi-Fi or cellular when you need them.

If you turn on Download Originals, iCloud Photos keeps your original, full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud and on your device.

On your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud.
  2. Tap Photos.
  3. Choose Optimize [device] Storage.

Also be aware of the following:

iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. See the following Apple article for more information: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

How to move existing videos/Photos to iCloud and free up space on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.