Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos on iPod

I have a very old iPod and I have over 14,000 pictures on it, I cannot transfer them to a computer, when I open the DCIM folder it say there are no files however I have over 20gb of photos on it. I really want to transfer them because I recently both my dogs a month apart and there are literally hundreds of photos of them on this iPod. Is there any way I can transfer them, iTunes does not recognize the iPod and I think its because it is so old, tech has moved on. I tried transferring them to the Photo stream but I cannot transfer them there either, and I cannot air drop them, the only thing I have managed to do is email a few to myself but with so many it would take me years of constant emailing.

I would really love to get those photos onto my computer or at least another hard drive because I am worried the iPod is going to fail one day and they will be lost forever.

Can anyone help please

Lee D

iPod touch

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 7:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 2:12 AM

Purdal wrote:

I don't understand what you mean about lying about doing nothing.

My apologies. It's all-too-easy to forget that not everyone here speaks English in the same way that we do in the UK.

• lying about = sitting, standing or laying on its side, in a corner, cupboard or garage
    • doing nothing = not being used anymore

So my question was; do you have one of your old computers tucked away, or in storage, that has the information on it? You've stated that your old computers are no longer available, but if any or them are, perhaps one of them has the pictures on it.

The iPod has generally been used as a backup for my music and I don't acutally know how the photos ended up on it, they all are in separate folders but not in the photo stream.

An iPod is not a suitable backup device, it never has been. iPods get lost, stolen, easily damaged or just fail.

Music on an iPod comes either from your iTunes Library or directly from the iTunes Store. In both cases, the copy on your computer (listed in your iTunes Library) is the backup for the iPod.

Pictures on your iPod are from two sources and as far as I know, cannot be accessed (on most iPod models) via the folders on the iPod itself:

1. the iPod's camera (or screenshots) and they will be in the DCIM folder, viewable through the Photos app on the iPod, probably under the heading Camera Roll
    2. your computer. These pictures (which in turn are sourced either from photographs taken by a camera, pictures downloaded from the internet, drawings etc. saved as pictures in a picture editor programme), were copied from your computer to your iPod by iTunes. You would have specified which folder (of pictures) that you wanted iTunes to copy from, and add to your iPod. These pictures can also be viewed in the Photos app on the iPod (no, not very well named by Apple). On my iPod, it states that these pictures are downloaded "From My Mac". (nope, I have a Windows machine. Well done again Apple). Again, this is not a backup of your computer; these pictures are copies on the iPod, of the original on your computer

I think your only option now is to use a third-party app to recover the photos (pictures) from your iPod, because there is no option within iTunes to copy them from the iPod. Only photos and screenshots taken on the iPod can be copied back to iTunes.

Fellow user turingtest2 has a helpful tip about recovering media from your iPod: see Recover your iTunes library from your iPo… - Apple Community. It includes a list of software that you might find useful.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 2:12 AM in response to Purdal

Purdal wrote:

I don't understand what you mean about lying about doing nothing.

My apologies. It's all-too-easy to forget that not everyone here speaks English in the same way that we do in the UK.

• lying about = sitting, standing or laying on its side, in a corner, cupboard or garage
    • doing nothing = not being used anymore

So my question was; do you have one of your old computers tucked away, or in storage, that has the information on it? You've stated that your old computers are no longer available, but if any or them are, perhaps one of them has the pictures on it.

The iPod has generally been used as a backup for my music and I don't acutally know how the photos ended up on it, they all are in separate folders but not in the photo stream.

An iPod is not a suitable backup device, it never has been. iPods get lost, stolen, easily damaged or just fail.

Music on an iPod comes either from your iTunes Library or directly from the iTunes Store. In both cases, the copy on your computer (listed in your iTunes Library) is the backup for the iPod.

Pictures on your iPod are from two sources and as far as I know, cannot be accessed (on most iPod models) via the folders on the iPod itself:

1. the iPod's camera (or screenshots) and they will be in the DCIM folder, viewable through the Photos app on the iPod, probably under the heading Camera Roll
    2. your computer. These pictures (which in turn are sourced either from photographs taken by a camera, pictures downloaded from the internet, drawings etc. saved as pictures in a picture editor programme), were copied from your computer to your iPod by iTunes. You would have specified which folder (of pictures) that you wanted iTunes to copy from, and add to your iPod. These pictures can also be viewed in the Photos app on the iPod (no, not very well named by Apple). On my iPod, it states that these pictures are downloaded "From My Mac". (nope, I have a Windows machine. Well done again Apple). Again, this is not a backup of your computer; these pictures are copies on the iPod, of the original on your computer

I think your only option now is to use a third-party app to recover the photos (pictures) from your iPod, because there is no option within iTunes to copy them from the iPod. Only photos and screenshots taken on the iPod can be copied back to iTunes.

Fellow user turingtest2 has a helpful tip about recovering media from your iPod: see Recover your iTunes library from your iPo… - Apple Community. It includes a list of software that you might find useful.

Mar 26, 2023 3:53 PM in response to the fiend

Ok, some of that makes sense, the iPod was regularly backed up to a computer through iTunes, that was like about 5 laptops ago so I no longer have them. I don't understand what you mean about lying about doing nothing. The iPod has generally been used as a backup for my music and I don't acutally know how the photos ended up on it, they all are in separate folders but not in the photo stream. I have had the iPod since it came out in 2012 so its almost an antique I have no idea of how the pics ended up on it, it may have been by backing it up regularly. If they are not in the DCIM folder, where would they be? When I look at the properties of the iPod I see Internal Storage/DCIM, there are no other folders but the properties also show that 20gb of my 32 gb iPod is taken up with "photos". and there are 14,999 in the Photo library. None of them are edited and none of them created by a computer program. In fact here is one of the photos from the iPod, I messaged it to myself

Mar 26, 2023 8:56 AM in response to Purdal

The DCIM folder only contains photos (and screenshots) taken by your device.

However, if the "photos" you are referring to were originally copied from your computer to your device (via iTunes), those will be in a different folder and not necessarily accessible directly. But, they will (or should be) still on the computer that they were copied from. Do you still have that computer, lying about doing nothing, or did you ever make a backup of that computer's contents that you could use?

I put the word photos in quotes because although they may have been taken by a camera (hence the word photo), they could equally be edited photographs or pictures created in a computer programme, that have never seen the inside of a camera. Since your device doesn't differentiate, then they are all pictures, but not necessarily all photos. Hence they are not in the DCIM folder.

Mar 27, 2023 10:32 PM in response to the fiend

Thank you again for your response. The lying about, yes well I do speak English but I guess its about context, I was not thinking about lying about, I was thinking you were saying I was telling lies about nothing....I know it doesnt make sense but forgive me I am old.

Yes those pictures were on my computer in my windows pictures folder, which as I said I backed up to an external HDD but I do recall at some stage using iTunes to back up the iPod and setting it up to back up pictures, it could very well be that I set it up to back up the pictures folder, anyway thats neither here nor there, I am actually glad that it has backed up all those pictures to the iPod as when the HDD failed I thought I had lost them all. So a happy accident but like you said iPod is not the most reliable storage medium and I am worried it will just fail one day and then those pics will be lost forever, so I will check out turingtest2 link and see if I cannot use some 3rd p software and get my pics backed up onto my sdd back up drive.

Cheers Lee

Mar 28, 2023 12:11 AM in response to the fiend

I have to say thank you again, you are a legend, I went to the site and ended up downloading Touch Copy and I am now in the process of downloading my photos to the SSD I am so grateful as I thought they were lost forever. And they are not thumbnails or copies they are the original photos. Maybe small by comparison to todays files but they were taken in SD mode using various cameras over a 15 year period. I think my first digital camera was only a 2MP and I only have a 12MP now. Thank you again, you have alleviate months of stress and worry as I thought if the iPod died on me, I would have lost them all forever. Thank you again.

Cheers Lee

Photos on iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.