Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

right click to export photos in Photos for Mac

I'd like to be able to right click on a photo with an option to export the unmodified original instead of having to go up to File / Export / on the menu bar - can this be added or is there a workaround using an AppleScript ?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 3:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 7:57 AM

SystemSettings -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> App Shortcuts

You can create a keyboard shortcut for the task you want. I don't believe there's a way to add something to the contextual menu.

10 replies

Mar 26, 2023 8:24 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Thanks both for the quick feedback - I've setup as below but curiously, it worked once then not again. Have tried restart and now it does not recognise the key combination at all. It would also be nice tp be able to select multiple photos for export as RAW for further editing as I do not want the options for Export only that sends in TFF / JPG / PNG

Mar 27, 2023 9:07 AM in response to RJS_Community

You can also use a macro app to create a 2 or 3 key combination to do exactly what you want. There are a number of macro apps in the App Store at a variety of prices - one is free. I use Keyboard Maestro which is possible the most powerful macro app available but it's reasonable priced.

For example I use it to change the font size and css file used by Safari with a 2 key combination:

Mar 27, 2023 2:00 AM in response to Yer_Man

I'm exporting to a temporary folder on my desktop and from there, editing in DXO Photolab 6. I don't use 'Open In' as this sends in TIFF and I of course, want to start in RAW. The shortcut worked this morning once, then stopped. The only other point is the photo library resides on a 2Tb Thunderbolt drive and I can see from the light on it and Activity Monitor, that it is working a lot of the time. Curiously, the Export shortcut Command Shift E works fine and my revised shortcut Command Option E now shows up in the same box but only works occasionally. I'm using a standard Apple Bluetooth keyboard and tried it also connected via USB - still no luck. All the keys work correctly so something is amiss. Thanks again for your helpful feedback and suggestions

Mar 27, 2023 11:15 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks - I'd been thinking about this and had looked at Alfred which already exists on my toolbar and has a macro builder facility in the full version but something dedicated like this might work better. Alternatively, as Yer Man suggests, it might be time I simply reevaluate where Photos sits in my workflow since it's limitations are becoming more evident. e.g. I'd also like a smart folder that could sort photos by orientation - portrait or landscape. NOT possible in current version of Photos. Thanks for your advice - much appreciated

right click to export photos in Photos for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.