Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Working with Text in Apple Motion; am I understanding Anchor Points correctly?

TL;DR

Below, you will see where I carefully went through and troubleshot the daylights out of how Apple's Motion creates anchor points for text, because... I really have no idea how to work with alignment when it comes to Motion. If you are a saint, you can read all that I've written below, but really, I just want to know this...

Question: If you create a single line of text, how can you precisely move the anchor point to the dead center of the text box? By default, the anchor point appears at the bottom left. I need X/Y to be 0, and that be dead center of the text.

ANCHOR POINTS WHEN CREATING TEXT

It seems to me that there are four ways to create text in Apple Motion... and ALL FOUR methods place the "Anchor Point" in a wildly different place.

1.) Unconstrained Text Box

1. Enable the Text tool (T).
  2. Click anywhere within the canvas.
  3. Type whatever text you'd like to add.

Anchor Point: On the Properties tab, the anchor point is created with X = 0 and Y = 0 placing the anchor point at the bottom-left corner of the text. **Note: This refers to the bottom-left of the first text character, not of the Text Box that appears around the text.

2.) Constrained Text Box

2. Click and drag a text box to the exact Height and Width you'd like to contain the text.
  3. You can begin adding text, or you can simply deselect the text box you've created to add text later.

Anchor Points: The anchor point is created in the center of the text box. The X and Y values vary depending on the dimensions of the text box you create, but if you reset them to X = 0 and Y = 0, the anchor point is now in the top-left corner of the text box. **Note: Unlike the previous method, the anchor point is really at the top-left most corner of the actual text box, i.e. not the top-left of the first character.

3.) Resized Constrained Text Box

2. Click and drag a text box to the exact Height and Width you'd like to contain the text.
  3. Release the text box, but before you begin typing, click and drag one of the dimension nodes around the Text box and change the size of the text box.

Anchor Points: If you do this... the anchor point appears on the Properties tab with some values. However, the actual it is not in the center, nor in any corner, top-left or bottom-left., I imagine it is the center of the original text box before you resized it... but that it just a guess.

4.) Unconstrained Text Box with Hard Returns

2. Click anywhere within the canvas.
  3. Type whatever text you'd like to add.
  4. At some point, while typing, press the return key to drop to the next line. This may be a common practice to constrain the text box's width, without predefining it by clicking and dragging.

Anchor Point: With this method, the anchor point appears at the bottom-left of the the first character. So, it's the bottom left of the character which appears in the TOP-left of the text box.

I have to be honest. I work for a software company, so I have filed hundreds of work items (change requests) for bugs... and I am literally gobsmacked by how Beta-version Apple Motion is. This bit with the anchor points is only the tip of a gargantuan iceberg of "What in the Actual ****" issues I see within Motion. I realize that Motion is quite literally the smallest source of revenue for Apple, but... if you look at ANY data on children, the absolute #1 career that every child in the whole world wants to have now is... "YouTuber."

Digital media for so-called "Content Creation" is hotter now than it ever has been in history. Every child in the universe (and many adults as well) are all looking into... Motion, After Effects, DiVinci... blah blah... and right now... Apple's Motion feels like a product that has NO Product Manager. And while Apple's shares will likely not plummet because of it... I must confess... it lowers my opinion of the whole company that they are not more embarrassed by this product.

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 6:29 AM

Did you ever go into the Inspector for this trxt object? There you can do all sorts of adjustments including how the text is vertically and horizontally aligned… that affects the location of the anchor point; also whether this of paragraph form or several other options.

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 26, 2023 11:51 PM in response to Dolmetscher

Inspired by an answer on another thread, by our Motion guru Fox M, it occurred to me to use a "null object" as a way to center text. It appears to work...

A null object is just something - a small circle, for example - that we use but does not end up as a visible object in the composition.

So here is the trick that I used - probably nothing new (except for me...):

• created a small circle
  • used the Alignment tools, by selecting the circle and the text, and align both the horizontal centers and the vertical centers
  • hid the circle

Mar 27, 2023 11:03 AM in response to Dolmetscher

Honestly, the only Text Anchor Points that work as expected (via the UI) are Text > Behavior Controls where you have the following options:

and these only work with respect to Sequence Text Behaviors.

I have mentioned many times on this forum how there is a whole world of different "things" going on under the surface of Motion that don't translate as expected on the surface. Text Properties > Anchor Points is definitely one of them.

Text is text in Motion - it's not converted to a graphic element. Font character measurements are literally beyond the scope of this forum and the translation between font characteristics and the Canvas just *defies* any simple explanation. I can hint that the measurements in distance of width and height are *scaled* between the UPM and the Canvas dimensions. A UPM (or "eM-space") is a "virtual" dimensional space in which font vectors are created — every font can have its own space, although traditionally, Adobe Type 1 fonts are 1000 and TTF fonts are 2048. Fonts I build for 3D modelling are 8000. [Yes — it makes a difference.] The maximum available from online resources like icomoon and glyphter are 8192. If your Motion template project has a vertical dimension of 1080, then there is vertical distance scaling involved. If your Motion template project is NOT square, then there is horizontal distance (and aspect) scaling involved... good luck with that!

There is actually a simple solution, but it falls under "secret trick" ... which you don't like (sorry). It's not really a secret and it's not really that much of a trick — it's just making use of an available tool (which actually hasn't been around all that long!)

If you create a small rectangle (any size) and Add a Behaviors > Basic Motion > Align To to the Text Object, then add that rectangle to the source Object of the Align To — you will have a centered text object, and you don't have to deal with ANY anchor points. The rectangle is the anchor. (Turn off its visibility or set the Opacities to 0).

You can give yourself the option of changing from the default Baseline Anchor Point to the Center of the text object by setting the Align To Transition to Custom and using the Custom Amount to move between the two "anchor points". This automatically keeps up with Left/Center/Right alignment changes as well.

Not "much of a secret" — a rather slick fix considering the state of Text Object anchor points, but you will have to locate the Text object by positioning the Rectangle (also change the rotation by the rectangle). Use the Text's parameters for all the rest.

Mar 27, 2023 6:53 PM in response to Dolmetscher

Hello again

Just following up a little further.

In this example here, the graphic - which is a running here in Final Cut Pro, is working on 2 anchor instructions. The text is aligned to the left and functions as expected, yet when the graphic animates - animation is running from where ever the centre of the text is - according to the height and width of the text.

This demonstrates what Motion is able to do - and given that every aspect of the graphic height and length are all user controlled in FCP - this also demonstrates how powerful Motion is...in relation to the AE to Premiere environment. This is a motion graphic, built in Motion to be used in Final Cut Pro with features and functions not currently available with the mogrt/premiere environment (to the best of my knowledge I could be wrong here its been a long time since I did anything there)

The method to do this in Motion does not depend on the sole text layer - it just would not be possible with that alone. The roles between the text, the text group, and other components are all working together to make it function - and to make it function in a way that provides the end user in FCP with a wide range of customisation and adaptions. This is what I mean by considering the goal, the function and the animation as a whole and using the right components in cooperation with others to get the result.

Mar 26, 2023 11:48 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi @Luis...

You're awesome for always responding to my desperate questions and rants. :)

I did look at the inspector tab(s), and... I did see that there is the "Alignment" section with, Left, Right, Center... etc. and I did see that it shifts the anchor point to the "middle" of a text box. This is at least some control over where the anchor point falls by default, but... it still doesn't solve my "issue," because the anchor point is still at the bottom of the text box.

If we were talking about a Shape, this would not be an issue. With a rectangle, one can see how tall, and wide it is, and... even though it is annoying, one can do some math to find the center. But with a text box... there's no way, that I know of, to find the center.

Now... all that said... if you select the Text tool, and click-and-drag a text box, then... you can click the "Middle" alignment tool, and... you can click the "center" tool. This makes the anchor point dead in the center... just as I want. So... I thought that the trick it so just always create text boxes using the click and drag method. This will give you the "middle" and "center" options. However... you had better be "spot on" when you create the text box, because if you adjust it's dimensions in either direction, you've blown your chance at ever centering your anchor point.

All of these things, to me, just seem... quite unbelievable, to be honest. That the most valuable company in the history of Earth, would have a piece of software that is so... well... bad.

I have yet to come across a task in Motion that did not require me to learn some kind of "secret trick"... like... "You have to add an image (any old image will do, to a drop zone in Motion in order to "activate" the Pan and Scale" parameters.

Anyway... I don't think it does me any good to blah on about it. I certainly appreciate your help man! Really!

Mar 27, 2023 4:37 PM in response to Dolmetscher

Hi Dolmetscher

Just looking at your summary, I'd like to point out that if you drag a text box, you set the text layout to paragraph mode. If you click into the project and type, the text remains at the default type mode. Each mode allows you to manage text in different ways, but each mode both includes and excludes functions.

Over your recent threads here, I can relate to many of your issues. I can also see, that, it sounds like you are looking for a workflows and functions that are 'equivalents' of other applications that you are familiar with. That is always going to be the path of most resistance.

We'll be here to help you get through obstacles. I do recommend that do some courses to get you grounded in the basics. Ripple Training have the best resources available.

Mar 27, 2023 5:34 PM in response to Dolmetscher

Hi

Just following up here - I wanted to ask what the actual goal is here regarding the text and centre anchor point.

What is the function of the animation does having the text anchor point at centre do?

What is the animation you want to do that requires the anchor point of the text to be centered?

The big missing part of the story here, is that the sequence text behavior may be the tool that you have not yet considered with your goal.

It is the sequence text behavior that gives us ultimate control over the origin of the text animation. Many of those functions you see in the text layer - in the inspector - are all only active when a sequence text behavior is applied.

If you can repost, with the actual animation goal for your text, then we can put this into the full context - and see what the solution is. Right now, I think we are looking at a big picture through the tiny keyhole of anchor points.

Working with Text in Apple Motion; am I understanding Anchor Points correctly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.