Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Camera app not saving pics to Photos

I have an iPhone XS Max 256gb and after not been using for close to an year; found out that the "main (rear)" camera is no longer saving the pictures. However, when I take videos on main camera, its saved to photos. I can also save photos on "front" camera. I have restored to factory settings, removed case and all; but still same issue. Have over 200gb free space and running the latest iOS.

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 10:57 PM

Apple6161 Said:

"iPhone Camera app not saving pics to Photos: There was no reference and just thought of trying a new app. I had this guy feeling that it’s not a hardware issue and was sceptical in letting them opening up the iPhone."

-------

Interesting. Sometimes, things come to mind, and you try it, and then it ends up the solution. Well done!

Excellent Job Troubleshooting, Once Again!

Glad to have helped.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 10:57 PM in response to Apple6161

Apple6161 Said:

"iPhone Camera app not saving pics to Photos: There was no reference and just thought of trying a new app. I had this guy feeling that it’s not a hardware issue and was sceptical in letting them opening up the iPhone."

-------

Interesting. Sometimes, things come to mind, and you try it, and then it ends up the solution. Well done!

Excellent Job Troubleshooting, Once Again!

Glad to have helped.

Mar 26, 2023 9:36 PM in response to Apple6161

Apple6161 Said:

"iPhone Camera app not saving pics to Photos: Thanks a bunch :) I contacted Apple Support through their message option and did the diagnostic thing from my iPhone. They also could not figure of what's the issue is - but then booked an appointment for me at a nearest Apple Store for tomorrow evening. Will update here tomorrow."

-------

You are welcome.

Show them this thread, if desired.

Seeing up an appointment yourself:

You'd setup a Genius Bar Appointment at your local Apple Store, taking it in for service.

Mar 26, 2023 8:10 PM in response to Apple6161

Apple6161 Said:

"iPhone Camera app not saving pics to Photos"

-------

Sync through iCloud:

Is Photos enabled in iCloud Settings on this iPhone? If your iPhone has items synced with iCloud on them, then they should pop right up on it at: https://www.icloud.com/photos/

• Enabling iCloud Photos on an iPhone:
  1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: Your Name (Top Item)
  3. Tap: iCloud
  4. Tap: Photos (so that it is green)

Mar 26, 2023 9:08 PM in response to Apple6161

Apple6161 Said:

"iPhone Camera app not saving pics to Photos: Thanks for your time - But that also did not help. "Photos" app is working fine as I could save picture taken from front camera and also save videos from rear camera. Rear camera is also working fine as I could record videos and save it. The problem is "rear" camera "pictures" are not getting saved."

-------

You are welcome.

Troubleshooting the iOS:

Contact Apple Support:

Seems your device is not operating as it should. So, give Apple Support a call, asking the what exactly is occurring here. If necessary, perform a screensharing session with them, so they can see this firsthand, form YOUR perspective.

• Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  • Proceed from there aw necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Mar 27, 2023 8:25 PM in response to TheLittles

Apple Tech also could not also resolve the issue. Since video recording and even pics taken on timer mode is saving to photos, they said its not a hardware issue. They reset/ restored/ reinstalled iOS a couple of times; still no luck. They said have not came across such an issue ever. Finally they said only thing they can try is to replace the rear camera for C$105 and see if it helps. If it doesn't succeed, will not charge me. I need to think over if I want to proceed for it or not as opening up the iphone and doing repairs and replacing back old camera if it doesn't help might not be a good move. This being a spare phone, might just keep it as is and probably some future update will resolve it magically!

Mar 27, 2023 8:29 PM in response to Apple6161

Apple6161 Said:

"iPhone Camera app not saving pics to Photos: [...]Finally they said only thing they can try is to replace the rear camera for C$105 and see if it helps. If it doesn't succeed, will not charge me.[...]"

-------

Getting A Free Replacement is Worth it:

During the days of COVID, my Mac's screen failed, and I had to send it in 11 times. Because so patient, they gave me a free replacement. So, see if they can fix it, and if no getting the free replacement seems the bet way to go about this.

Mar 27, 2023 10:47 PM in response to Apple6161

Apple6161 Said:

"iPhone Camera app not saving pics to Photos: Finally find a solution - installed another camera app - "PIX" by Microsoft and it's saving the photos! The stock app still doesn't work and that means the issue is with the camera app being corrupt. With almost similar interface, will continue to use this new app."

-------

Excellent Job Troubleshooting!

Please Provide the Source:

Did you come across this solution by chance? Or do you have a source(i.e. a Web site or a Book) of where you found it? Providing a reference to the solution may help many, for certain!

iPhone Camera app not saving pics to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.