Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove contact list, not contact, from Contacts on iPad

In my IPad contact, it has 3 major lists: 1. All contacts, 2. Sheila2007 , 3. iCloud . Under iCloud, there are all iClouds and many lists as well.

sheila2007 is an empty list, not under iCloud so when I use edit , it isn’t showing as editable. Only lists under iCloud can be deleted .

How can I delete this empty list sheila2007 ?

here is screenshot of my list after I clicked edit button.

iPad 16.3.1, iPad Pro (11-inch) (3rd generation).

Thank you in advance.

sheila

iPad Pro, 16

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 6:32 PM

Hello Sheila09,

Based on those screenshots, it looks like that list is associated with the Gmail account with the same username. It is there because you have the option to sync contacts with that email address but you haven’t, so it shows zero. 

If you want, you can turn that off so you no longer see it as an option.

To do that, go to Settings > Contacts > Accounts. On this page, look for that Gmail account and tap on it. From there, tap on the button beside contacts to turn it off.

Let us know if this helps.

Kindest regards. 

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2023 6:32 PM in response to Sheila09

Hello Sheila09,

Based on those screenshots, it looks like that list is associated with the Gmail account with the same username. It is there because you have the option to sync contacts with that email address but you haven’t, so it shows zero. 

If you want, you can turn that off so you no longer see it as an option.

To do that, go to Settings > Contacts > Accounts. On this page, look for that Gmail account and tap on it. From there, tap on the button beside contacts to turn it off.

Let us know if this helps.

Kindest regards. 

Mar 28, 2023 4:37 PM in response to Sheila09

Hi Sheila09,

To begin it's important to understand that contact groups can only be created/edited/managed via iCloud (Create and manage groups of contacts on iCloud.com) or a Mac (Create and change lists in Contacts on Mac). As you have a separate category for iCloud, it's possible this group is included in an account you have configured for Contacts, and would need to be removed from that account.

Follow the steps in Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone or iPad under the section "Turn Contacts on or off for an account" to disable an account and see if the group remains. Once you identify the corresponding account, you can visit the website for that account or contact the account provider for directions on removing that group or simply leave the account disabled as it does not include any contacts.

Regards.

Mar 28, 2023 6:18 PM in response to Bill_T1

Bill_T1:

It doesn’t work as the group I want to delete isn’t under iCloud.

I do have 2 apple accounts, but sheila2007 account doesn’t have contacts at all. There is no iPad ,iPhone or any apple devices associated with that id either.

I’m uploading 2 screenshots to show you that the group Sheila2007 doesn’t exist in iCloud for my 2 apple accounts.

If you know any other way to remove that group, it will be great.

Thanks,

sheila

Remove contact list, not contact, from Contacts on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.