Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Does MacOs vsync still not work?

i just update macos ventura 13.3 and they didnt fix vsync, i get 120 fps with vsync on, also i have a M1 Macbook pro.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 4:19 AM

If you have problems with Apple not supporting a certain feature, you're not going to get any results by complaining to a bunch of users who agree with you.

If you wish Apple to hear your complaints, you need to tell Apple: Product Feedback - Apple. As is the usual case, the greater the number of complaints heard, the greater the likelihood of a fix. But the need for that "fix" will have to be brought to Apple's attention.

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2023 4:19 AM in response to IUNHAPPY0305

If you have problems with Apple not supporting a certain feature, you're not going to get any results by complaining to a bunch of users who agree with you.

If you wish Apple to hear your complaints, you need to tell Apple: Product Feedback - Apple. As is the usual case, the greater the number of complaints heard, the greater the likelihood of a fix. But the need for that "fix" will have to be brought to Apple's attention.

May 18, 2023 12:24 PM in response to IUNHAPPY0305

It’s unacceptable for a major tech company to not be able to address this bug, but also the fact that no where nearly as much people reported it this year like they did last year with MacOS Monterey. However it’s worth keeping in mind that OpenGL is a long deprecated API on MacOS. In my opinion, Apple should support it again. For Apple, their main focus is Metal. Also for Minecraft, V-sync is only needed if your device has screen tearing in the game. I have a M2 MacBook Air and it does not experience screen tearing in Minecraft so therefor I set my FPS to 60 fps and have V-Sync off.

Sep 18, 2023 7:28 PM in response to dialabrain

Actually you can find out right now as the release candidate is available and it would be included in this if it was "fixed." Why can't Sonoma be discussed? You can go to the developer forum for Sonoma and ask there and someone will tell you if it's being worked on or not. OpenGL btw, will never make a comeback on MacOS as it shouldn't, it was always broken to begin with with Apple's poor implementation of it, even in OS X. No one really uses OpenGL anymore when developing games and if they do it's like they shot themselves in the foot since there are much better APIs out there. Which is why your Vsync isnt working in your ported apps, if they use OpenGL APIs they must be converted to Metal using a translation layer and this layer uses CPU and not GPU. You are better off asking the developer of your app to create a Metal build of the app so you can take full advantage of its power. The problem is that game developers are either unwilling to learn it and feel that directX ports are just fine (Minecraft for example) or they currently working with the porting toolkit to make it happen. There really is no reason to use OpenGL anymore when Metal is easy to learn and much more powerful and streamlined with huge performance gains. We are seeing more developers coming over to Metal now, especially with the porting toolkit. You can get your hands on a windows version of Minecraft and run it through the porting toolkit and you will have VSync back in the app as it is able to translate the DX12 APIs to Metal using the GPU instead of CPU, along with the 3D acceleration otherwise not existent in ports. If an app is built on windows with DX11, DX12, or OpenGL APIs, it will be converted properly to metal using GPTK and use the GPU instead of the CPU which are what ports do. Vsync is not always a thing you need if the app is made with performance in mind. For example, running FFXIV with Vsync on will cause horrible anomalies and frame skipping, when it's off you will get full frames, no skipping, and faster shader compiling when launching the app. No OS has Vsync in it or requires it, so technically it's not broken. Adaptive sync is in most Mac models which is more than sufficient if your monitor is too slow for the GPU. Vsync is generally only used for older displays that cannot keep up with the GPU. If you are running native Mac apps you will never need Vsync.

Vsync is an openGL thing, and anything that needs Vsync should be rebuilt with Metal APIs, can't expect apple to include extremely old tech in their new systems and models when Metal is more widely accepted. I would be bugging the software developer to stop using OpenGL so their customer base can use their product. That is what it comes down to.

Sep 18, 2023 7:37 PM in response to IUNHAPPY0305

what app are you using where you get 120fps? Vsync is not a thing in metal, we have adaptive sync, which is only needed on Mac mini and desktops with external displays on apps that are built using OpenGL. It's a very select few who are stuck in this weirdness because they are still using old ported games and apps, which won't activate adaptive sync since ported apps do not use the graphic card at all and only use CPU for rendering. This is why you have no Vsync.

Does MacOs vsync still not work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.