iOS 16 App Icon Text Color - changed after 16.4

I'm on an iPhone 8 and just updated to the latest version of iOS (16.4). Upon restart my background is still my same purplish camo custom background I've used for years but the app. icons and top bar color that normally displayed in a legible white for the background color are now registering as a hard to read black/grey. Is there any way to change this back to the traditional white color they've been on previous builds/variants? Is this a bug? I've been using dark mode for awhile so the change was pretty marked and unexpected.

iPhone 8, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2023 10:04 PM

I opened up the Wallpaper in Settings>Wallpaper and chose "customize" for both the lock screen and main screen. When saving the settings after playing around in each, it remedied the text color from dark grey/black on the purple camo background I had to white on the purple camo background. That was all I was really attempting to remedy.

This is the same background I'd used in prior versions of iOS and I'd never had any issue with the text being dark grey/black. I'd been on iOS 16 for awhile without any concerns or issue. So it was surprising and a bit frustrating that it had changed but apparently going into Settings and customizing both and resaving was what it took to fix this. At least it seemed to in my case.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2023 10:04 PM in response to TheLittles

I opened up the Wallpaper in Settings>Wallpaper and chose "customize" for both the lock screen and main screen. When saving the settings after playing around in each, it remedied the text color from dark grey/black on the purple camo background I had to white on the purple camo background. That was all I was really attempting to remedy.

This is the same background I'd used in prior versions of iOS and I'd never had any issue with the text being dark grey/black. I'd been on iOS 16 for awhile without any concerns or issue. So it was surprising and a bit frustrating that it had changed but apparently going into Settings and customizing both and resaving was what it took to fix this. At least it seemed to in my case.

Mar 27, 2023 8:43 PM in response to IVIIVI4ck3y27

IVIIVI4ck3y27 Said:

"iOS 16 App Icon Text Color - changed after 16.4: Nevermind, tweaking on it in wallpaper made it fix it itself. Problem solved. Posting can be removed or archived."

-------

Please Emphasize the Solution:

How exactly did you tweak with this? Providing that may help many for certain.

Report this to Apple:

Do your part: Let Apple know what is going on here. Provide them with feedback on this. They may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they received on this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Comment: that it is after installing the update when the issue began. Include the URL of this thread.
  3. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  4. Proceed from there aw necessary

Apr 22, 2023 12:33 AM in response to IVIIVI4ck3y27

Thank you so much for this. I was desperately trying to find a way to change the color back. It’s not a super big deal, but I did find the new text change was harder to read and just generally not as nice-looking. All I had to do, like you said, was Settings>Wallpaper then click “Customize” on my current wallpaper. I didn’t have to actually change anything after clicking customize, I just pressed “Done” immediately, and the color changed back. You’re a lifesaver. Thanks again

iOS 16 App Icon Text Color - changed after 16.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.