Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal for iOS and System Data to take up this much space on my iPhone?

iOS takes up 9.01 GB and 'System Data' 8.75 GB on my iPhone 12 running iOS 16.3.1

My local storage is only 64 GB, so this takes up almost 30% of my space.

Is this normal? Is there something I can do to reduce the iOS and system data storage requirements?

iPhone 12

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 2:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 3:05 AM

Yes, it is completely normal.

System Data is cache and system files from iOS and the apps you have installed. These files help launch your apps faster and ensure you get the information you want without waiting. Over time, the size of System Data will both increase and decrease. iOS automatically clears unnecessary files to make room for new ones, for example when you update iOS.

It is not possible to clean up System Data yourself.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2023 3:05 AM in response to AdamK146

Yes, it is completely normal.

System Data is cache and system files from iOS and the apps you have installed. These files help launch your apps faster and ensure you get the information you want without waiting. Over time, the size of System Data will both increase and decrease. iOS automatically clears unnecessary files to make room for new ones, for example when you update iOS.

It is not possible to clean up System Data yourself.

Is it normal for iOS and System Data to take up this much space on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.