Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPad OS 16.4 update and extended monitor stop working

Hi there,

After I updated my M2 iPad PRO to iPad OS 16.4 the extended monitor capability stop working. I have no issues with it until the update. I can mirror the iPad screen to my external display but am unable to select anywhere the extended screen. Any ideas how to resolved this issue? Thanks.

iPad Pro (6th generation)

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 3:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 6:41 AM

I have been assisted by @LotusPilot who suggested using a different monitor with 16:9 format and this seems to now work with 16.4 whereas the old monitor I have does not work with 16.4 but did with 16.3 IOS. The link to the question and answers is here:

iPad Extended Desktop not working - Apple Community

Hope this helps you.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2023 6:41 AM in response to domingo265

I have been assisted by @LotusPilot who suggested using a different monitor with 16:9 format and this seems to now work with 16.4 whereas the old monitor I have does not work with 16.4 but did with 16.3 IOS. The link to the question and answers is here:

iPad Extended Desktop not working - Apple Community

Hope this helps you.

Mar 30, 2023 2:16 AM in response to domingo265

Bump… I have this too and have scoured the internet to find solutions, or if Apple made an announcement that they had again removed the functionality. I am beginning to wish I’d bought a MacBook Air instead. The extended desktop worked perfectly and was using it to run my work’s Citrix desktop whilst I used iPadOS for everything else.

Please Apple fix/respond asap.

Mar 30, 2023 5:48 AM in response to domingo265

Peace and good day!

I am relieved to see this on the community support pages. I am in a very similar situation following the latest 16.4 update. The last few months I’ve been extending my 12.9 M1 iPad Pro screen to a 22” Sceptre branded monitor. Up until 16.4 there were no issues and it worked exactly as Apple advertised. However, following the 16.4 update the option to change the displays arrangement goes away within the display settings panel. Similarly to you this simply just stopped working after the update. Additionally and strangely enough my iPad DOES work correctly with SOME displays but for whatever reason after 16.4 it does not work with my Sceptre branded display.

iPad OS 16.4 update and extended monitor stop working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.