Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshots taking over a minute!?

Like many others I use screenshots (command shift 3 etc.) to illustrate my FCP X answers or questions.

They used to take a few seconds to appear on my desktop but recently they have been taking over a minute . . . at first I thought they were not working. (The mini image appears rapidly but the usable file takes a minute to appear).

My Monterey iMac has some 50 items on the desktop and I thought that maybe this was slowing down the screenshot but a quick test on my old Catalina Mac mini, which has an equal amount of crud on the desktop, produced a screenshot in seconds.

The only apparent difference is the OS.

Has anyone else had this problem and could Monterey be to blame?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 9:47 AM

Finder might be unhappy. Either relaunch the Finder, log out and in, or to clean out all the cobwebs, reboot. If no change then reboot and hold the shift key until you get to the login screen in order to run fsck (File System ChecK).

3 replies

Mar 28, 2023 9:45 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

In recent OSs when you make a screenshot a miniature (bigger than an icon) appears in the lower right of the screen. If you swipe right on a Magic Mouse that accepts it, and the screenshot should appear immediately on the desktop. The pause is to allow you to pull it up, mark it, or crop it. It definitely shouldn't sit there for one minute. I'm not seen that long a pause in the current version of the OS.

Screenshots taking over a minute!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.