Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery % Drops After TurnOff

Hello, I would like to report an issue related to my newly purchased iPhone 14 Pro Max 256 GB. I have observed a sudden battery charge drop when switching off and then turning the device back on. The attached video demonstrates a reduction in battery charge from 69% to 67% in the said scenario. Although this issue occurs only in this specific instance (turning the device off and directly on), it is concerning for me since my device is brand new. Could you please assist me in identifying the cause of the problem?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 5:31 PM

When you turn the phone off it doesn’t just stop suddenly. iOS “tells" all of the open apps that the phone is shutting down, and gives them time to save any unsaved work; in addition the cellular subsystem “tells” the cellular network that the phone cannot be reached. Depending on what apps you have been using, this can take up to 30 seconds, and it uses energy. You may notice that you can’t turn it back on immediately, because it has to finish the shutdown process before you can restart it.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2023 5:31 PM in response to RebinGalaly

When you turn the phone off it doesn’t just stop suddenly. iOS “tells" all of the open apps that the phone is shutting down, and gives them time to save any unsaved work; in addition the cellular subsystem “tells” the cellular network that the phone cannot be reached. Depending on what apps you have been using, this can take up to 30 seconds, and it uses energy. You may notice that you can’t turn it back on immediately, because it has to finish the shutdown process before you can restart it.

Mar 29, 2023 1:21 AM in response to RebinGalaly

No, it all depends on how you use your phone, how you charge it and, quite frankly, the combination of chemicals in your battery and how they react over time.

No two phones will react quite the same.

But the biggest take away is - don't worry about it.

Aside from checking eleven or so months after purchase and checking whether it has fallen below 80%, there's no need to track what it is until it does fall to 80% or below, at which point you may want to consider having it replaced.

Tracking it with regularity doesn't buy you anything.

Battery % Drops After TurnOff

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.