Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery percentage jumps 2% randomly when charging

My iPhone 12 mini is less than 1 year old from the box and it is having this issue. The battery health has just dropped to 99% Capacity. What could be causing this issue?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 7:23 PM

I don't use my phone much at all. It's down the 94% after 6 months, right on schedule according to Apple. Yes, I know exactly what is running on the phone.

Lucky you. We answer multiple questions every day from users complaining that their Battery Health declines about 1% a month.

We also had a user recently whose phone was at 95% after 7-8 months.......pretty darn good......then the Battery Health dropped 5% the next month.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2023 7:23 PM in response to ghr165

I don't use my phone much at all. It's down the 94% after 6 months, right on schedule according to Apple. Yes, I know exactly what is running on the phone.

Lucky you. We answer multiple questions every day from users complaining that their Battery Health declines about 1% a month.

We also had a user recently whose phone was at 95% after 7-8 months.......pretty darn good......then the Battery Health dropped 5% the next month.

Mar 22, 2023 2:09 PM in response to Ashton0814

Ashton0814 wrote:

Yes I understand but I also do go to most extremes to keep my phone in low power mode not using 5G when most definitely capable of doing so. And making sure that I try to not use my iPhone when it’s charging or intensely using it, I take its case off and make sure it’s in a cool environment not on a table ect.

There is very little you can really do to prevent loss of battery capacity. It will happen. Batteries are consumables. Physics always wins.

Batteries are relatively cheap to replace. My advice would be to stop trying to micromanage it, use your phone and enjoy it and replace the battery when it stops being usable (if you're not at a point to replace your phone).

See also:

When to charge your iPhone or iPad - Apple Community

Mar 21, 2023 6:58 PM in response to Ashton0814

Nothing at all wrong with your battery. If the phone was 6 months old, you would expect Battery Health to be about 94%, since this number will decline an average of about 1% a month.

99% at 6 months would be far above average performance, so you can pat yourself on the back for your amazingly good luck with your battery.

The battery percentage display during charging is an approximation based on activity that is going on in the background during charging. If the background activity slows down, then the percentage can jump a few points. Nothing to be concerned about.

Frankly, I'm still wondering how you are getting such good performance from your battery. It must have been the best of the batch during manufacturing. After 12 months, most of us see a Battery Health of 88-90%. Let's hope the law of averages does not catch up for you and your phone.

Mar 22, 2023 4:27 PM in response to Ashton0814

Remember that your iPhone is a mass produced device, and the components used for battery health measurement are not individually calibrated, and battery condition is notoriously difficult to measure. The estimate may also be influenced by device and battery temperature from moment to moment. I would not expect the battery condition estimate shown on screen to be better than about +/-5%

Also remember the battery condition starts as an analog measurement and is then converted to a digital value for display. It is generally accepted that any digital numeric display will have +/- 1 unit uncertainty in the least significant digit just from the analog-digital conversion process.

Battery percentage jumps 2% randomly when charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.